• Have a great spring break!

• Congrats to the Huskies for winning at Winterfest

Flint Hill’s Empty Bowls event is “fire”

By Leyla Ebrahimi, Co-Sports Editor

If you were to walk past the Math hallway on the second floor of the Flint Hill Upper School building, you would soon find yourself in the Upper Commons. Be careful not to pass the girls’ restroom and make sure not to wander aimlessly into the Foreign Language hallway; you will have gone too far. A sanctuary exists as a median – a divider of mathematics and linguistics, a home of sculptures and residence of innovators. Clay is caked into every crevice and corner, artwork lines the walls, the tables, the floors.  Make sure you study the people as well, who resemble artwork themselves. Hands are dusted, and glaze glistens against skin.

On February 25, Flint Hill Ceramics students and Clay Club members piled into the Commons. Readying their displays and situating their final pieces, everyone prepared for a heartfelt, and important event. Thousands of beautiful bowls, all unique to one another, filled the space which was transformed into a bustling marketplace. The scene was captivating. Pottery wheels were placed by the stair cases, where students and visitors could explore and discover more about ceramics. Seniors Olivia Hernandez, Seth Marumoto, and Kayla Hewitt brought music to the scene. Accompanied by the piano and their guitars, the trio sang a series of beautiful collaborations throughout the event.

“I have been involved with Empty Bowls every year that Flint Hill has hosted one,” said senior and Empty Bowls student leader Jess Rappaport. “I think it’s great for the school because it helps raise awareness for hunger and also brings many groups together.”

Clay Club members as well as Ceramics students work rigorously all year in their classes. They spend office hours, weekends, and time before school preparing for this event. However, many are not only inspired due to their love of ceramics, but by the services they will be providing by donating their bowls.

“Empty Bowls is an annual event for which the Flint Hill Clay Club along with the rest of the Flint Hill community through various workshops produces hundreds of bowls,” said senior and event leader Kayla Hewitt. “These bowls are then sold at Empty Bowls for $15.00 each. All proceeds from the event then go to the DC Central Kitchen. The mission of Empty Bowls is to use our talents as potters to help the community in a meaningful way.”

Hewitt agreed that Empty Bowls has shaped the community.

“I think that this event is a microcosm of the greater Flint Hill community,” said Hewitt. “We have an extremely service-oriented student body and many of us are looking to use our talents in any way we can. Flint Hill consistently come together throughout the year to help worthy causes; whether that be through bake sales, service trips, or Husky Dress Days, Empty Bowls is just another part of that philanthropic legacy.”

Rappaport believes that the event is so beneficial to connecting the school to the outside world.

“I think it’s great for the school because it helps raise awareness for hunger and also brings many groups together,” said Rappaport. “The bowl-making workshops that we host bring people from all parts of the school into the arts and we see so many unique pieces because of that.”

The Clay Club this year has raised nearly $10,000, adding on to their collective total of almost $60,000 from previous years. Their hard work and arduous efforts have produced successful results, and combining service with passion has helped in shaping the Flint Hill Community.