• Have a great spring break!

• Congrats to the Huskies for winning at Winterfest

Huskies jam and jive at the GMU Arts Jam

By Neha Sharma, Photo Editor

On Wednesday, April 19, over 160 students from the Flint Hill Performing Arts Department participated in the annual Arts Jam concert at George Mason University’s Center for the Arts. Clusters of friends and family filled the seats and waited for the show to start while performers could be found buzzing about excitedly backstage.

Flint Hill School’s annual Arts Jam is a wonderful place for student artists – many of whom prepare for months leading up to the event – to showcase their talents. At a school where much emphasis is placed on athletics, this performance is a great opportunity for musicians, singers, and dancers to shine.

Junior Patrick Lovelace, who is a member of the Upper School Orchestra, Jazz Band, and accompanies the Choir, talked about his experience of performing in Arts Jam.

“I like it because I’ve been doing music in one form or another since I was four years old, and Arts Jam offers an opportunity for me to explore nearly all of my different musical interests in a single event, which is a really unique experience,” said Lovelace.

Flint Hill’s Choir and Orchestra join forces for a piece. Credit: Victor O’Neill Studios.

Dancers spend hours learning and perfecting routines while choir, band, and orchestra members perfect their many musical pieces. Additionally, most of the rehearsals for this event are held during extra help, breaks, and at home, with many extra rehearsals added in last-minute. This is all done amid the pressures of regular life, academics, and family obligations.

“It is challenging to acquire all the costumes, but the reward is honestly so great that it all becomes worth it,” said Carla Atalla, a junior in the Choir and Flint Hill’s flagship a capella group, the Major Minors.

Lovelace talked about the hard work that goes into putting Arts Jam together.

“I thought the concert this year went really well,” he said. “As always, rehearsals and getting ready for the performance were pretty hectic, but it all seemed to turn out OK. It was a lot of work, especially since I performed with three different ensembles, but it was really rewarding to see the final product, as it is every year.”

Every year, Arts Jam has a central theme, and this year it was “Legacies.” Each branch of the Arts Department had their own specific arrangement of acts, but they all came together during the final finale piece. It was made up of tributes to various artists, including the Choir’s performance of “Under Pressure” by Freddie Mercury and David Bowie, and the Band’s performance of “September” by Earth, Wind, and Fire. Additionally, Percussion played “1999” by Prince, and all the ensembles came together to perform “Purple Rain” by Prince.

Members of Flint Hill’s Major Minors singing their hearts out. Credit: Victor O’Neill Studios

Although Arts Jam is a place for student artists at Flint Hill to shine, it is also a remarkable experience for those in the audience.

Juniors Tara Monjazeb and Julia Finkelstein talk about how it feels to be an audience member during this massive event.

“GMU is a magical experience,” said Monjazeb. “There are so many people in the show who have worked so hard to get to that point, and I feel really privileged to be able to witness the end result. It’s always incredible. There’s never a dull moment, and every time I walk out completely blown away.”

“It’s one thing to hear about the things performing arts groups are doing through friends, but to see it in person is so incredible,” said Finkelstein. “It filled me with a weird sense of pride, you know, to see all my friends in the final form of something they’d worked so hard on.”

As can be seen, Arts Jam is a very big event for the Arts Department at Flint Hill, and it uses its platform to encourage people to visit other Arts events, including the spring musical, Mary Poppins, and the Portfolio Art Show exhibition.