• Have a great spring break!

• Congrats to the Huskies for winning at Winterfest

Flint Hill’s got games

Juniors Leyla Ebrahimi and Danielle Effley pose for a picture during one of the Color Games activities.

Photo Credit: Victor O'Neill Studios

Photo Credit: Victor O'Neill Studios

By Jayna Patel, Copy Editor

On Friday, April 21, the Flint Hill Upper School gathered for its first Color Games. Though the Color Games were scheduled last year as well, it was canceled due to rainy weather conditions. This year, though, students were excited to see that Friday morning was sunny and warm, promising a great day of field games and fun.

After morning classes, students gathered in their advisories to walk down to the field. The school was teamed up in groups of two advisories from different grade levels who would work together and compete against other teams. Senior and freshman advisories were grouped together, while junior advisories were grouped with sophomore advisories.

Seniors and freshmen especially appreciated the chance to connect with people in different grades in this fun way.

“Sometimes I walk past underclassmen in the hallway, and it feels like they’re in a different universe, and that I rarely have a change to bridge that gap,” said senior Jack Lovelace. “At the Color Games, the innovative setting allowed a senior like me to be up close and personal with our underclassmen family and to truly get to know some really spunky and new individuals.”

The teams played a series of classic field games, including the three-legged race, Mission: Impossible, and a sponge-bucket relay.

Many students enjoyed competing with their friends and having fun outside in the warm spring weather.

“It was really nice participating in Color Games because my advisor (Andino) really got into it, and we ended up winning all of the games that we played,” said junior Kamryn Olds. “But, in general, it was also nice to go outside, bask in the sun, and just enjoy ourselves.”

Some students were reminded of their Color Games at the Lower School and other middle schools.

“My favorite game was Mission: Impossible because it brought me back to the days of my childhood,” says senior Stephanie Renner.

Others enjoyed the Color Games for the snacks given to students at the end, rather than the actual games themselves.

“Actually, the popsicles were the best part,” says freshman Victoria Bedoya.

On the other hand, some students disliked the Color Games, and felt their time could have been better spent.

“I thought it was a forced venture into bonding and team building that was overall unnecessary,” Renner says of the games. “The event did not personally facilitate camaraderie between my advisory nor between grades, and I got a sunburn when I could have been doing work.”

Though students had different opinions of the day, many of the Flint Hill community appreciated that the members of the school had a new way to come together and enjoy a new tradition at the Upper School.

“It was fun to get to compete against other grades, and it was a really cool tradition to be part of this year,” said freshman Courtney Nguyen.