Parent to child relationship: How to be friends

Photo Credit: Robin Goldstein

By Zane Homsi, Staff Writer

Parents.

You might wonder how they know what you are going to do before you do it, or how they answer your questions before you even ask. Why? Because they were once you: They were once hormonal. They were once babies. They were once kids, and they were once us.

Trust them. They know what’s best for you. Having an open and healthy relationship with your parents will help you – the child – succeed and grow up to be an overall happy adult. Nothing remedies the wound of life more than dialogue and conversation. It may seem odd to befriend your parents, but what is unique about having parents that you also consider to be your friends is that they will never drift nor wander and they will always be there when you need them most.

What can your parents do? Everything. They give you food to eat, transportation to ride in, tuition to learn, money to spend, values to live by, a bed to sleep in, comfort to keep you calm, and most of all love. As you can see, it is worth trying to have your parents on your side. I mean how great would it be to have all of this plus a friend you can count on?

There are three things that will keep your parents on your side 100% of the time.

1. Openness: Keep an open relationship with them so they are able to know how to deal with you. This way they know you are are growing up and deserve to be treated as as an adult rather than a kid asking for adult privileges.

Junior Christina Vohra said, “I think it is incredibly important to have an open relationship with your parents because they are always there for you to give the best advice and they are always your number one supporters. My parents and I are best friends. We tell each other everything! I absolutely love having a close relationship with my parents.”

2. Practice: Let them into your life when the problem is small so they can intervene when it is big. If you expect parents to know what to do when you need them, you must let them know what to do when the task is miniscule. Practice makes perfect.

Senior Chris Hintz said, “In order to have a close relationship with our parents, it takes practice. Eating dinner as a family is a way for us to communicate.”

3. Results: Let them know it’s worth perusing a relationship with you by giving them examples of your successes so they know there is a return on the investment. It helps improve your position and make up for slack along the line.

Junior Sarah Kashef was awarded the Jack Kent Cooke Scholarship as a rising freshman. She is now a junior and reflects on the rigorous experience with nothing but contentment.

“It was a truly stressful and pressure-filled experience for me. The Jack Cooke Kent Scholarship is highly selective and I do not think I could have made it without the support my parents provided me.”

To get started right now here are a few concrete things that will help get the ball rolling:

1.When you come home from school, ask them about their day and tell them how yours went.

2. When they are preparing food, try helping out, or better yet make it yourself. Also help around the house; do chores that aren’t yours, and get to bed on time, or even earlier than asked.

3. Do not be a hassle: Make their lives easier by allowing them to carry less weight. Do things for yourself so they don’t have to do it for you and thus can have time not only to worry about their lives but also time to see how great of a person you have become.

Best of luck with your soon-to-be best friends!