Filed under Archive

Cancer never sleeps, and neither do Huskies

The+Flint+Hill+Relay+for+Life+team+enjoys+its+night+at+George+Mason+University.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

The Flint Hill Relay for Life team enjoys its night at George Mason University.

Photo Credit: Photo Credit: Cyndi Hoffman

Soaked in Red Bull and caked in sweat, the Flint Hill Huskies participated in the annual George Mason University Relay For Life fundraiser for the American Cancer Society. The event collected a total of more than $84,000, $36,401 of which was solely collected by Flint Hill students.

The night had countless activities on the schedule, including a doughnut-eating contest, Red Bull relay race, zumba class, male beauty pageant, movie showing, limbo track, basketball shootout, and competitive wing-eating contests in which junior Christophe Simpson arose as Mr. Congeniality for his celebration of victory in the wing challenge.

While the Huskies definitely enjoyed the fun aspects of the event, the Luminaria ceremony was by far the most somber hour of the night. Participants from ages eight to eighty walked around the track with the lights turned off, having only the lanterns to navigate their way. Junior Tucker Reilly took it upon himself to embrace not only his classmates, but other participants as well.

Wrapping them in a warm embrace, whispering a few words of encouragement, and leaving them a kiss on the head, Reilly said, “Relay for Life might be one of the most incredible things I have done in my life.”

Senior Zachary Thornburg had an especially eventful start to the evening. He asked his lady friend—who shall remain nameless—to prom and then using the same outfit– a rip-away suit connected with snaps–in the all male beauty pageant, “Mr. Relay.”

Thornburg said, “The timing of the Mr. Relay pageant was great because after such a sad time in the Luminaria ceremony, everyone was laughing so hard at Zane [Homsi’s] and my performance up there.”

The planning committee reserved a projector and used a program called TweetStream to project tweets with the hashtag: #GMURelay. The Flint Hill students found this to be a excellent source of entertainment and used it as a medium of expression throughout the night.

“The live tweets were a great add-on and really made this Relay stand out from other fundraising events that I have been to,” said junior Amar Bhatia. “Seeing my handle, picture, and text was incredibly fun and really united the entire community by showing everyone’s tweets.”

Although few freshmen partook in the event, the ones who did said the experience was surreal.

“I didn’t think it would be as fun and as an amazing experience as it was,” said freshman Trini Kechikan. “My favorite part was definitely the Luminaria ceremony. The amount of support we gave one another was insane.”

After more than 30,000 dollars, sixteen hours, and exorbitant levels of caffeine, the Huskies made a contribution that extends beyond just our school.

Cyndi Hoffman, Upper School biology teacher and Flint Hill’s team leader, has a personal connection to this event. She lost her father to pancreatic cancer, which led her to spearhead the Relay for Life program at Flint Hill.

As quoted in the March edition of The View, Hoffman said, “As someone who has felt the loss that cancer can bring, I participate to honor the memory of my father who lost his battle in November 2009. Relay for Life has helped me heal from the loss of my father in a way that only someone who has participated in the event can understand.”