Filed under Archive

Field Studies kicks off the 2014-15 school year

Juniors embark on their journeys in Duckies.

Photo Credit: Photo Credit: Taylor Johnson

Freshmen, sophomores, juniors, and seniors all experienced adventure outdoors while bonding with their classmates. Each grade participated in a different activity that was meant to serve them in some way during the school year.

The freshmen activities provided the incoming high school students an adventurous start to their journey at Flint Hill. The students chose the activity in which they wanted to participate from a variety of options on the land and in the water, including rock climbing, horseback riding, and canoeing. They were grouped together based on which activity they chose.

These activities were organized to help the freshmen meet each other outside the classroom before the start of the school year, and many students agreed that the trip did just that.

“I really enjoyed canoeing because I got to meet a bunch of new people,” said ninth grader Gia Brucker. “It was nice to be able to do activities with my classmates because I am a new student at Flint Hill.”

The sophomore class was divided into separate advisory groups during the course of the trip, so that students could really get to know their classmates. Most of the trip consisted of a ropes course and trust activities.

Field Studies gave the students an opportunity to bond. For sophomore Maddy Strafford, the main highlight of Field Studies was the zipline.

“I really liked facing my fears with my whole advisory group, together,” she said.

However, some students thought there should be more of these daring activities in the day’s schedule.

“The zipline was really fun, but I didn’t like the circle discussions and bonding activities as much,” said sophomore Jessica Rappaport. To improve the trip, she says, there should have been fewer sedentary activities in the schedule.

Juniors thought there was room for improvement as well in their Field Studies. All activities were water-related, and students chose from kayaking, rafting, paddle-boarding, canoeing, and smaller rafts called duckies.

While it was fun, some students thought it was a little too strenuous, and they did not get to bond as much as they would have liked.

“I did kayaking, and it was fun, but also painful and challenging,” junior Priya Gill said. “We all should have been made to interact with one another through our activities, which didn’t really happen because we all were doing different things.”

The Field Studies for seniors was similar to that of the freshmen. Seniors had the chance to pick from a variety of activities as well, both on land and water. According to seniors, the outdoor activities were the perfect way for the senior class to celebrate their last year at Flint Hill.

“I dread field studies before I actually go, but when I’m there I have a great time and make lasting memories with my friends,” said senior Claire Rodriguez. “It’s a new experience every year, and I’m a little sad I’ll never experience it again.”