Filed under Arts

Flint Hill students showcase their talent in the Digital Art & Photography Exhibition

Senior+Sean+Penayi+designed+this+promotional+poster+for+the+2015+Digital+Arts+%26+Photography+Exhibition.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Senior Sean Penayi designed this promotional poster for the 2015 Digital Arts & Photography Exhibition.

On April 20, the Upper School Library, whose walls were covered with printed works of digital art, opened its doors to the spectators. The students’ work from every digital art class is showcased in the space ranging from the most basic Introduction to Digital Imaging all the way to classes such as Digital Photography and Independent Study.

A hallmark of the show is the headshot compilation that is suspended from the top level of the library, in which all students enrolled in a Digital Art class have their own headshot with their own choice of edits and effects applied, each thus displaying all the different colors and personalities within the program.

The personalities displayed were especially numerous in this year’s show, due to the sheer number of students and faculty involved.

“This year’s art show was much bigger than any year previously,” said US Photography and Digital Arts Teacher Catherine Huber. “We have more students this year, and with that we had the addition of [Linda] Okoth, [whose] ideas truly showed through in the production of the show.”

Some of the most notable pieces included those from the advanced art classes.

Senior Brittany deCamp was responsible for a great deal of still life photography in the show, and her work did not go unnoticed.

“Brittany might have some of the most amazing pictures I have seen, especially coming from someone my age,” said Senior Tucker Reilly. I was so impressed with her work and her picture of the liquid droplet is one you can’t miss.”

Senior Sean Penayi, while not directly involved in the art show, has been responsible for nearly every graphic publication that Flint Hill has issued to promote an event. He used his independent study to facilitate Flint Hill’s need for digital communication.

“Something I like to do is to hide an image within my designs to make the picture a little more interesting– something like a game within my work,” he said.

For the freshmen, this show was their opportunity to see their work displayed alongside the work of those upperclassmen they admire.

“I thought it was really cool and well done,” said Freshman Catherine Scherer. “I went to the show last year to see it, and it was really neat to have my work up there [this time].”

A plethora of works in the show somewhat mimic one another because they all were built around the same course model.

“It was so impressive to see how the archetype of the Flint Hill digital artist grew through each course,” said Freshman Jack Hoel. “You could see the Introduction to Digital Arts kids’ work at very basic levels and the advanced artists producing such amazing work. You can really see the parallels in the assignments.”

Though the arts graduation requirement has been moved down to half of a credit (the equivalent of a one semester course in art), the digital arts have seen a significant spike in enrollment.

“I think the increase in enrollment is just a part of the natural growth that comes with going 1:1 with Apple products,” said Huber. “Students now have access to computers with Adobe software and naturally just want to learn. People are becoming more aware with the importance of being able to communicate visually.”

The digital art display will remain in the US Library until Friday, May 1.