Portfolio Art students exhibit dazzling display

From+left+to+right%3A+Kilahra+Lott%2C+Samantha+Giuntini%2C+Sabra+McBride%2C+Tara+Monjazeb%2C+Caroline+Katzman+
From left to right: Kilahra Lott, Samantha Giuntini, Sabra McBride, Tara Monjazeb, Caroline Katzman

By Rod Aryan, News Editor

Each spring, the Upper School hosts an art show in order to showcase the talented artists from the 9th to the 12th grade. These works range from the digital creations of those taking Digital Art and Photography to the pots and plates of high-level ceramic students. On April 16th, the gallery opened for parents and students alike to come after school and tour the exhibition, which represented the culmination of Flint Hill’s artistic achievements this year.

Located in the Upper Commons, the Portfolio Art Show is on display, and features work by seniors Tara Monjazeb, Kilahra Lott, Sabra McBride, Caroline Katzman, and Samantha Giuntini. In order to show off work in this gallery, students must complete Art I, II, and III while also completing over 10 hours of work in the art studio outside of the time allotted in class. These pupils of Ms. Fragione have spent years perfecting their crafts and unique styles, all of which differ from one another.

Each student focuses on her own skills and technique and follows a theme of her choosing to develop through her art. Because of this freedom, the gallery is not limited to one overarching theme and spans a wide variety of topics and styles. Due to the multitude of themes, mediums, and styles present, there is something for every viewer to appreciate.

“It’s really cool to be able to see all these different drawing styles on display at Flint Hill,” said senior Henry Park. “As someone who likes to draw in my own free time, I can learn a lot from just observing the different inspirations and techniques my friends used in their artworks.”

All the Portfolio students attempt to tell the narrative of their own inspirations and bring a deeper meaning to situations that may seem simple at first glance. For example, Kilahra Lott is drawn to the body and the forms it takes and used candid pictures of strangers to study the bodies’ natural positions in order to create a deeper level of reality in her work. Sabra McBride is drawn to animals and farm life. However, not all the artwork on display is based off of people or animals, as Samantha Giuntini was influenced by both her own home and the Upper School itself for her creations.

Before the show is even able to take place, these students sacrifice a large chunk of their free time in what is called “Hanging Weekend,” in which they spend several hours clearing the walls of the hallways and setting up their artwork. In this year’s gallery, the students spread out and intermixed their artwork on the walls instead of sectioning off their pieces from one another. This free-flowing design allows for a greater appreciation of the different approaches each artist took.

“It was difficult, for sure, but the work paid off,” says senior Tara Monjazeb, who displayed artwork in the show. “It’s really empowering. We’re really grateful for the support and love people have given our work. People don’t realize how much validation means to artists – it’s like they’re amplifying our voice.”

Although not all the students in Portfolio Art wish to pursue their passion as a career, each one put in countless hours in order to be able to display their work in the gallery. The hard work, dedication, and love for the fine arts can be seen in every piece on display as each artist relishes the opportunity to exhibit their creations for an audience. The portfolio art pieces will remain on display through May 7.