Winter Band Concert Showcases a Variety of Talent

By Nicholas Matsukas, Alessandro Silvia, Mariella Silvia, Contributors

On Tuesday, November 19th, 2019, Flint Hill School had their first band concert of the year. While the Upper School band students had already performed during the bonfire, for the Middle School this was their first chance to show what they have been practicing. The most remarkable of the performances was that of the fifth graders. For almost all of them, the first time they had ever picked up an instrument was a little less than three months ago. In order to demonstrate how far they have come, the first note they played was a mess. This was done in order to show the dichotomy of the next piece and all that they have learned under the direction of Dr. Scott, the band director for the 5th-grade band, 6th-grade band, Advanced Band, Jazz Band, and Symphonic Band.

The theme of the concert was meant to pay homage to Latin music, taking inspiration from countries such as Spain, Mexico, Brazil, and Argentina. Even the fifth graders had the chance to appreciate the culture. Interestingly, in a piece done by the 6th graders, a scream was featured which caught much of the audience off guard. One of the most notable of the events was the featuring of Mr. VanLear, an advanced math teacher at Flint Hill, in one of the Symphonic Band’s pieces. As well as Mr. VanLear, a professional trumpet was also featured in one of the Symphonic band’s pieces as well.

Instead of playing all new pieces, the Jazz Band chose to play two pieces that were featured in their bonfire performance. However, these pieces were done with a twist. Junior and tenor saxophone player Sofia Augenstein had a solo in the song “Does Anyone Really Know What Time it is?” as well as junior clarinetist Phillip Yang, and Senior drummer Ousman Demba. The song “Blackbird”, also a repeat from the bonfire concert, featured solos as well. Sophomore alto saxophone player Issac Grossman, junior clarinetist Phillip Yang again, and junior drummer Garrett Blumb were featured during a section. Additionally, the Jazz Band played a song titled “A Girl From Ipanema”, a city in Brazil, which featured vocalist senior Nicole Hisey. When asked about the concert, Nicole Hisey said, “Everyone was very supportive and kind to her when she would come in to practice.” She also noted that the “band supported her really well through her experience.” 

If you missed the winter concert, both the Symphonic and Jazz Band are featured in the yearly Arts Jam at George Mason University on April 15th, 2021.