Spread the Kindness

Photo Credit: Random Acts of Kindness Foundation

By Peter Heller, Staff writer

Aesop once said, “No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted.”

It is because of principles like these that senior Leyla Ebrahimi, Student Council Association President, decided to take action. In order to support victims of recent hurricanes and promote kindness in our community, she, along with the rest of the SCA, have started the Kindness Project.

The Kindness Project is a new initiative started by the SCA with the purpose of spreading ideas of kindness and goodwill towards others within our school community. So far, the project has gotten off to a great start by selling “Be Kind” wristbands in the Commons. These wristbands are bracelets with a short, positive slogan on them: “Be Kind.” The point of the wristbands is to remind everyone to respect one another and maintain the positive atmosphere of Flint Hill.

“The Be Kind campaign centers itself around promoting kindness and positive energy,” said Ebrahimi. “I began to craft the Be Kind project after a former student emailed me this summer, thanking me for always being kind to him and saying good morning every day as we passed each other in the hallways. I think that we forget how powerful we are and how powerful it is to be kind. You can change someone’s day, someone’s life, you can truly make a difference.”

The main focus of the project is on the “Be Kind” bracelets, which encourage everyone to support others and do more to help out in the community.

“Wearing a bracelet means that one must commit themselves to doing one kind thing a day for someone else. The bracelet serves as a reminder that we all have the power to make a difference within our community, and, by wearing the band, we are all committing ourselves to being our best selves, our kindest selves,” said Ebrahimi.

Kind acts could be as small as opening a door for someone or wishing them good morning to doing charitable service and assisting someone who needs help.

“Being kind is portrayed in the little things that we do to better our community,” said Ebrahimi. “Being kind means inviting someone to sit with you at lunch or asking an old friend how their day is. Being kind is holding the door for the person behind you, or saying thank you to a teacher after class. Being kind is doing something outside of oneself, something that is completely meant for someone else.”

“So far the wristband sales have been going well,” affirmed SCA Junior Class Representative, junior Sameer Bahethi. “We ordered enough for every faculty and student to buy one, and our goal was for everyone to buy at least one.”

Not only does the SCA plan to spread compassion with the wristbands, they also plan to spread kindness with the money earned selling the bracelets as well. All of the money will go to Hurricane relief organizations, to help with rebuilding areas that have been devastated by hurricanes Harvey and Irma.  

“We were planning on sending the money to the Red Cross,” said Bahethi. “But then we decided that we should instead give the money to an organization that works more with hurricane relief instead.”

Besides the wristbands, the SCA is planning several other events for the Kindness Project. According to Junior Class Representative Sebastian Aguilar, other upcoming events include a bake sale to raise money and a presentation at the lower school.

“We just want to improve the environment for all students and make this a better place to be,” said Aguilar.

The popularity of the wristbands and the encouragement of the student body have only boosted support for the Kindness Project.

“I hope that those within the community commit to the saying on their wrists,” Ebrahimi said. “It isn’t enough to wear the bracelet; one must embody all of its resolutions. I hope that we are united by this project, and that people continue to wear the bracelets throughout the year.”

Ebrahimi also hopes that this project will continue for the next several years, as the rising classes of SCA representatives move into higher leadership positions.

“I hope that people continue to wear the bracelets in the years to come, and that the idea of kindness is practiced and displayed consistently throughout the Flint Hill community after I graduate.”