SCA and Honor Council take center stage

By Andrew Hamilton, Staff Writer

At Flint Hill, students are given multiple ways in which they can impact the community. A few popular leadership positions are in the Student Council Association (SCA) and the Honor Council.

“The SCA is a student leadership group dedicated to improving the Flint Hill community,” explains junior Shiv Lamba, Vice President of the SCA. “We identify obstacles in Flint Hill and tackle them.”

The group’s responsibility is to take commentary and suggestions from members of the community and try to implement them in an effort to make the school a better place for everyone. The job of the SCA is to better understand what needs improvement within the community, which allows for concrete changes to occur.

The SCA has already been able to implement some of the suggestions that they’ve received as well as their own new ideas (with the help of Flint Hill faculty), including the creation of water bottle stations, the newly created live morning report, and other SCA projects.

The Honor Council covers a very different yet equally important ground compared to the SCA, dealing with honor infractions. The members of the Honor Council act as a sort of jury, and meet in sessions to give their perspectives on students who have violated the Honor Code of Flint Hill and discuss potential consequences. Together, they give a final verdict on various instances of misconduct.

“I really value how the whole process works, as it is very much trial and jury-like,” says Junior Natalie Plaut, one of three Junior representatives for the Honor Council. “[It] creates a very real world connection in the idea that if you [break rules] you will have to face the consequences.”

With both the SCA and the Honor Council, the school has given students the means to aid their community and a great amount of responsibility in doing so.

“Something I value most about the Honor Council is the genuine desire to do good that is exuded by all of the members of the council,” said Senior Danielle Effley, a member of the Honor Council. “I can honestly say that each person on the Honor Council has the best interests of Flint Hill in its entirety and all of the students in mind at all times!”