Winterfest 2019 Canned Food Drive

Back to Article
Back to Article

Winterfest 2019 Canned Food Drive

Poster designed by Philip Rivera

Poster designed by Philip Rivera

Poster designed by Philip Rivera

Poster designed by Philip Rivera

By Lily Kyser, Arts Editor

In the week leading up to Winterfest, many students donated canned food in a box outside of Ms. Ayers’ office.

Senior Claudia Wood and Ms. Okoth helped organize the canned food drive to support Cornerstones, a nonprofit organization that promotes self-sufficiency that Flint Hill has worked with many times in the past.. “We work with them for a lot of food collections at Flint Hill, the most prominent one being the Thanksgiving Boxes,” explains Wood.  She goes on to say that they are “doing great work to provide food for families impacted by the government shutdown.”

After greatly surpassing their 100 can requirement, the upper school students were rewarded with a free dress day the following Monday. There was also some friendly competition among the freshman advisories- the advisory that brought in the most cans would be treated to a Dunkin’ Donuts breakfast.

Many students were moved by the canned food drive. Senior Nixon Kramer said that she was “happy that people took the initiative to help others.”  Additionally, Junior Maya Jaffe felt “encouraged” that Flint Hill was not only contributing to Cornerstone, but also “helping people who have been affected by the shutdown.”

Claudia Wood has been working to benefit her community through this canned food drive, but also through her Junior Optimist club.  By encouraging the students at Flint Hill to help those who are food insecure, she not only helped the community collect many cans for distribution, she also helped many students understand and empathize with people who don’t readily have meals available.