Flint Hill Families and Friends Come Together at Annual Bonfire

Seniors in 2019 Flag Football Game 
Credit: @flinthillatheltics Instagram

Seniors in 2019 Flag Football Game Credit: @flinthillatheltics Instagram

By Erica Kim, Co-Editor in Chief

Homecoming week started with Spirit Week, a period of school spirit and anticipation for the upcoming weekend. Students dressed all out for this year’s themes, Safari, Red/White/Blue or school colors, Jersey Day, and Space Day. Throughout the week of October 15th to 18th, there were photo booths in front of the gym to match the theme each day, and students showed off their creativity with their outfits and accessories.

Spirit Week allowed students to ease up and enjoy themselves during a stressful time with loaded assignments before the end of the first quarter. 

Senior Alina Wang commented, “My favorite spirit day is for sure Jersey Day because you get to know your friends’ favorite sports team and shout out to other classmates who have the same jersey as mine.”

When the much-awaited pep rally arrived on the last day of Spirit Week, lower schoolers, high schoolers, and school faculty came together at the gym to watch the Flint Hill Dance Team’s phenomenal performance and delight in activities like musical chairs and pie-eating contests. 

That night, Flint Hill families gathered to watch the flag football game and the bonfire. With the combined band’s captivating rhythms playing in the background, families, and friends strolled around with their hot chocolates and Chick-fil-A sandwiches exploring the Spirit Wear shop and chatting with friends. Once the band’s performance and the Flag Football game was over, Huskies sat around the bonfire next to the track field and watched it grow. It stirred a relaxing time of reflection since the first day of school and excitement for the rest of the year. Cuddled up around the toasty and cozy fire, children stared at it in awe and friends grew closer during that short moment. 

The boys varsity soccer team kicked off Homecoming Day with a 4-0 win, and the girls varsity soccer team, girls varsity field hockey team, and varsity football team games that followed brought Flint Hill complete victory. Families and friends walked through the spirit alley with Flint Hill themed pom-poms, necklaces, bandanas, and stickers to cheer on our teams. Students decorated the pumpkins collected by the Classics Club, and lower schoolers came by the robotics team’s stand to marvel at the drones the team created and operate some robots themselves. Many people also made clay spoons with the Clay Club. The varsity dance team shone once again with their performances at the girls soccer, field hockey, and football game. The Husky Hut provided food and beverages and was run by our committed parent volunteers.

Sophomore Necati Unsal, a member of the Classics Club, remarked, “We had a great time! Plenty of younger kids took part in the pumpkin painting. I assumed that we would have less people would have showed up to the booth because of our new location, but to my surprise, a lot of people wanted to participate. The event was also an amazing opportunity to talk to other people who are interested in Classics Club.”

Homecoming week was full of entertainment and triumph for the Huskies. It brought the school community together and launched the start of an amazing year. We cannot wait for more school celebrations and events to come throughout the year!