Finding Happiness with Futuristic Unknowns

By Isobel Matsukas, Editor-in-Chief

“Surrender to what is, let go of what was, have faith in what will be.” ~ Sonia Ricotti

I wanted to open with this quote because it’s really hard to think about what would or could be happening right now if it weren’t for the Coronavirus, but I often find my mind wandering in that direction. A lot of people I’ve talked to have said it’s too upsetting so they just can’t think about it. As I mentioned in my previous article, they have tunnel vision, but on what? On not thinking about what could have happened or what would be happening? Usually tunnel vision is a good thing because it typically means that people are very focused on their goals and dreams. There are so many futuristic unknowns right now that it’s even harder to keep tunnel vision on your goals because we don’t know when they’ll be able to be accomplished. I’m not sure if this tunnel vision ideology would work for me, I’m sure it works really well for some and probably not as well for others. I’ve learned it’s so important to let yourself feel what you feel and not suppress emotions so that when, not if, things start to become normal, you won’t have those strong, pent up feelings that will eventually find a way out. Healing can only happen if you let yourself heal. Accepting a new “normal” and embracing it without resentment and letting go allows you to heal and find peace once again. At the same time, it’s all about a balance, and you’ll need to either pick yourself back up or let others help you so you aren’t “down” all the time. Also, remind yourself that it will eventually be okay and have faith or hope in the future.

Sometimes it’s hard to talk about unsettling things with friends or family because you don’t want to make them feel upset too. First of all, know that they’re there for you. Also know though that there are other ways to vent. Journaling is one of my favorite ways to get stuff off my chest and it helps me figure out what I think. You don’t have to be “good at journaling;” I don’t believe in being “good at it.” Journaling is personal. If you want to just write down what you did that day – woke up, ate breakfast, picked up groceries, read a book – that’s a great start! If you want to just do a “feeling dump” and just rant about whatever is on your mind or even a “check-in” and literally ask yourself “What am I feeling right now? Why?” those are great starts too. There’s no right or wrong answer here and you can write about whatever you’d like. The only piece of advice that I have with journaling is to end on a positive note. That can be wishing yourself a good night’s sleep, “have a good day,” reassuring yourself that all will be well, just hyping yourself up, or writing about something you’re looking forward to.

Another form of expression students at Flint Hill seem to be really talented at is art. Songwriting, painting, doodling, writing poetry, whatever it may be, art is a great way to express an emotion without explicitly saying what you’re feeling. This can be another way to help yourself figure out what you think about a situation and for some people, it’s too hard to explicitly say what they feel. Again, there’s no right or wrong answer here and it can be fun to try something new!

If you’re able to stay busy, I think that’s definitely a good idea because it keeps you present. Just meeting with friends, socially distanced, in a parking lot, to go on a hike or a walk, or even just to hang out outside gives you a sense of our “new normal.” There are other things to keep busy are good too – reading a new book or exploring hobbies, getting started on summer schoolwork, to my fellow rising seniors – participating in virtual college visits. Although this article is mostly about ways to get in touch with yourself and your own emotions, staying busy can be a great distraction and sometimes it can be helpful to have a break from inside your own head.

Just because I’m advising you to end on a positive note… “A secret to happiness is letting every situation be what it is instead of what you think it should be, and then making the best of it.” ~ anonymous.

I hope you have a “happihealthy” day!