Huskies provide aid for Hurricane Harvey victims

Photo Credit: World Vision

Photo Credit: World Vision

By Lily Nejadian, Staff writer

pFlooding hundreds of homes, causing at least 83 confirmed deaths, and leading to billions of dollars of economic losses, Hurricane Harvey is still being dealt with weeks after the tropical storm has dissipated. Harvey is the most powerful hurricane to hit Texas in decades and the wettest tropical cyclone on record in the United States. The Category Four Hurricane   spurred donations of time, clothes, food, and other resources as those unaffected push to help victims get back on their feet.

Hurricane Harvey has not been the only major cyclone of the season. Following Harvey, Hurricane Irma struck many U.S. territories, including the Virgin Islands, Puerto Rico, Florida,  with a fatality count of 102. Along with harsh winds and pouring rain, Irma brought  severe flooding, tornadoes, and tens of billions of economic damage, disrupting wildlife critical to the local ecosystem in the process. Following Irma, Hurricanes Jose and now Maria continued this dangerous streak.     

With one of our four core values being compassion, the Flint Hill community has always taken it upon itself to provide aid for those in need all around the world.  This value of compassion has shown itself through many forms throughout the years like Empty Bowls and the “Flint for Flint” campaign to raise money for the Flint Water Crisis, with various fundraisers and volunteer opportunities just a few ways Flint Hill has given back. From natural disasters to accidents and national tragedies, Huskies have a history of coming together when it’s needed the most.  

The community has stepped up and come together in light of this destructive disaster, and is helping with the recovery in the aftermath. On September 8th, a Husky Dress Day was held to raise money for the victims of Harvey, and students were encouraged to donate a suggested amount of $5, with many donating more. In addition, the Environmental Club managed a bake sale where proceeds would also go to Harvey victims. By the end of the day, through both the bake sale and donations from many students, nearly $2,400 was raised for Feeding Texas, a statewide nonprofit organization that moves millions of Texans to food security through a network of food banks and raises awareness of hunger through public collaboration.  

In response to these natural disasters, Flint Hill’s Student Council Association has organized a sale of bright yellow bracelets sporting the words ‘Be Kind,’ in an effort to bring the school together through the communal reminder to each individual to uphold another core value, respect, for each other. All through the week of the 18th and into the week after, the SCA has been selling the “Be Kind” bracelets for a dollar a piece, and hundreds of dollars have already been raised. The SCA has decided that this money will not be going to the Red Cross as originally decided, so it is currently searching for an organization that directly deals with hurricane relief.

Individual clubs are also deciding to dedicate to hurricane relief. Junior Claudia Wood, the president of the newly formed chapter of Junior Optimist Octagon International at Flint Hill, speaks out, saying that the service-based club is looking to start off the year by helping out with the  current disaster, which is relief for the hurricane victims. In the near future, this could include raising money, donating blood, and volunteering.

The Flint Hill community has once again come together to reach out and lend a hand. By continuing our efforts throughout the year, we can spread our value of compassion and make a lasting impact.