Winterfest-ivities

Students who attended the Winterfest games pose in the middle of the gym.

Photo Credit: Sue Spencer

Photo Credit: Sue Spencer

By Jonathan D'Ari and Julia Finkelstein

Winter is always a busy season for Flint Hill, and this January was no exception. The festivities began with the Junior-Senior basketball game on January 19. The junior class shocked the school by upsetting the seniors and demolishing the faculty team.

Senior Rod Aryan was distraught over the outcome.

“It was tough losing to the Juniors in the game,” he said. “We [the Seniors] obviously feel like we had the better players, but we just weren’t able to put it together on the court.” He went on to joke that “some suspect refereeing could be a major reason we lost, as the Juniors just weren’t that good.”

That evening was the blackout-themed Winterfest Dance for the Upper School. Students from all grades congregated and danced their hearts out, with the experience differing by grade level.

Simon Bhatia and Bennett Chess, both freshmen, commented on the exciting nature of their first high school dance. “Everyone was so energetic – I really enjoyed it so much!” Bhatia exclaimed. Chess went on to talk about the turnout. “…There were a lot of people there, it was packed,” claimed Chess. “It was really fun.”

Seniors were also in attendance. Senior Neha Sharma spoke to her experience. “As my last Winterfest, dancing so badly and messing around with my friends was very special.”

The fun continued on Saturday at 1:45 with the Junior Varsity Girls’ basketball game against Westfield High School, followed by the Junior Varsity Boys’ basketball game against Potomac, a 55-45 win.  At 5:15, the Varsity girls team followed suit by dominating Westfield’s varsity girls team 51-31. The nightcap was the boys varsity team against state-rival Potomac School, a close game which Flint Hill won by the score of 62-58 in front of a wild crowd.   

The Winterfest games were enjoyable for all students who attended, such as senior Matt McClements, who said, “The basketball games were very fun. The environment was great for both varsity games. As an athlete, I love it when people attend games, so I’m very happy we were able to create an electric atmosphere for the basketball teams.”

Throughout the day on Saturday there were many fun activities for students of all ages, such as inflatables and spirit giveaways. The Classics Club, for example, ran a cookie decorating booth. There were also contests during halftime of each game for younger students to win cool prizes. The school store was also open all day so that students could purchase Flint Hill gear.  All in all, Winterfest 2018 lived up to the hype and was a very successful weekend.