New Dress Code makes its debut

Flint Hill students walk into school excited about the new dress code changes

By Cameron Sabet, News Editor

Flint Hill has enacted an update to the dress code policy for the 2018-19 school year.

“You can now wear hoodies, as long as they’re Flint Hill hoodies, but I’m pretty sure you can’t wear blue jeans,” Junior Arthur Dahm jokingly remarks.

The rationale behind the popular demand for hooded sweatshirts was the relatively cool temperature of the building year-round, making concentration and comfort sometimes difficult to attain. Even though students have recently been granted the ability to wear sweatshirts, they still are prohibited from wearing the hood of their sweatshirts, primarily as a sign of respect and identification for campus safety. In addition, the sweatshirt is specifically required to be a Flint Hill sweatshirt to boost school pride and spirit. Nevertheless, every increase in flexibility within the context of the dress code policy is proudly welcomed by the students.  

Students “…love [this] new policy because it’s much more relaxed than the previous policy,” says Senior Peter Heller proudly sporting a modern, sleek hoodie with the words “FLINT HILL” printed in front.

In addition, the policy of requiring boys’ shirts to be tucked in before Homecoming and after Spring Break has been eliminated. However, some students are still pressing for gender-neutral dress codes. The rationale behind this push for increased flexibility for both male and female members of the community is partly fueled by the desire for individual expression arising from the diversity of the Flint Hill populace. In a recent dress code open forum, people suggested to spread awareness of the push for flexibility through the support of the Inclusive Leadership Council. Most of the school is in favor of a progressive dress code, and it is nearly impossible to tread the halls without listening to students echoing the sentiments expressed in these forums.

However, the school administration raises a point of utmost importance: if dress code policy sanctions loose or baggy clothing or outerwear, potential safety concerns could arise from the concealment of drugs, weapons, or other items which could jeopardize the safety of the school population.

The recent changes are a good example of open dialogue, and if previous trends in the promotion and utilization of open forum discussion and consultation are at all representative of the future of Flint Hill, we’re off to a great start.