Students Get Diplomatic at the Ivy league Model United Nations Conference

By Necati Unsal, Staff Writer

Last weekend 14 Flint Hill students departed for the annual Ivy league Model United Nations Conference (ILMUNC), hosted by the University of Pennsylvania in Philadelphia from January 31 to February 3. The Conference was attended by more than over 3,000 students from places all around the world, making it one of the largest Model United Nations conferences in the world.

Model UN is an extra-curricular activity in which students simulate United Nations delegates and committees. It’s the job of each delegate or heads of committees to debate and argue for various bills and that would benefit their represented country.

When asked what some of the highlights of the conference were, Sameer ‘Ender’ Baheti ‘19 responded, “Meeting all those students from places like Venezuela and Puerto Rico. I got see so many new perspectives on topics like internal extremism and world hunger. I would have never been exposed to those ideas if I had not gone.

As for some advice for possible future attendees the senior said, “Get ready to be overwhelmed. From 150 people committees to dances and tours of UPenn and Ice skating, I was surprised by all the things I could do on top of debate with some of best Model UN schools on the east coast.”

C.J. ‘20 and Will Chu ‘20, both juniors who represented Mali on the Economic and Financial Affairs Committee, won Honorable Mentions for their work on the committees.

Cameron Sabet ‘20 described a busy day to day schedule, and highlighted the best part of the trip.

We debate topics ranging from maritime law to internal extremism, negotiate on treaties and resolutions, and practice oration and rhetoric . . . This busy schedule repeats for the four days we competed at the ILMUNC and provided us structure allows us some freedom during our time in Philadelphia.”  

All attendees agreed that the conference was a resounding success. There will be more conferences in the future so be sure to be on the lookout if you’re interested in Model United Nations.