Huskies Roll Into the Reading Room

Back to Article
Back to Article

Huskies Roll Into the Reading Room

Photo Credit: Joy Alemu

Photo Credit: Joy Alemu

Photo Credit: Joy Alemu

Photo Credit: Joy Alemu

By Joy Alemu, Section Editor

According to the National Assessment of Educational Progress, 60% of students are not proficient readers by the time they start high school. When asking a variety of students about the average number of minutes they read leisurely during the week, the average came out to be 28 minutes. 

People state this as a crisis, but can you blame teens?  Teens have homework, classwork, tests and quizzes, projects, and essays, and all of this does not even include the after school activities they participate in. And, once they are done doing all of their work, they have the internet to unwind with. Reading has not become a thing of the past, but it seems as if leisurely reading has taken a back seat to other recreational activities. However, with the new Reading Library in the Upper School, this might change at Flint Hill.

Nate Green, Upper School Information Specialist and one of the minds behind the Reading Library, stated that “this was a long time coming because in the past we used to have stacks in the library, so we needed to rethink how we were going to do this. This idea had been kicking for a while – about 3 years – and though it may seem like a long time, we wanted to make it the best for the school.”

The Reading Library is a new space in the learning commons where students can expand their love of reading. It is a device-free space that was made solely for the purpose of being a comfortable area where students can enjoy reading. It is equipped with couches, many books, lamps, and it is in a secluded area of the Learning Commons, which makes it even quieter.

This was made possible by Mr. Green, Michelle Plaut, the Middle School Librarian, Emily Sanderson, the Director of Studies, and John Copenhaver, the English Department Chair.

Why should someone use the reading corner? Reading aids with future success, causes inquiry-based thinking, increases empathy, supports an ongoing endeavor to make a more equitable curriculum, and lowers stress.

Mr. Green said that “reading is incredibly valued because of these reasons and the students who are going to succeed in life are going to have to find sustained engagement and depth of research in reading. And, in addition, reading helps with that, rather than scrolling through one’s phone. We hope our students take on bigger challenges. Given all those benefits, if Flint Hill wants their kids to read, we need to make a space for the students.”

Go to the Reading Corner and enjoy!