The Push for a No Homework Night to Support Graphic Arts

By Necati Unsel, Editor

Almost everyone understands the significance of art, yet I feel as though that significance is not accurately portrayed at Flint Hill. Every year, hundreds of Flint Hill students participate in the annual Graphic Arts showcase, similar to the annual Arts Jam at George Mason. Arts Jam is treated as a huge event with “no homework night” status. Unlike Arts Jam, the Graphic Arts showcase is treated as just another night for the hundreds of students that put their time and effort into their respective art. I believe Flint Hill should increase the significance of the Graphic Arts Showcase as a no-homework night for two reasons: higher attendance and as a show of respect for the participants.

Firstly, I believe that by providing a no homework night, the school as a whole could entice more visitors to come. As a test of this theory, we can look at Arts Jam, which attracts a large number of visitors. The day of Arts Jam is dedicated to the Art Department, which helps it garner a bit more respect than any other art event in the school. 

This opinion is even shared by some performing arts students like sophomore Will Plaut. “Arts Jam is seen as the culmination of our efforts as performing arts students, graphic arts students deserve that same amount of respect in their culmination of effort,” he said. 

Currently, students have other priorities that they hold above an arts show. It is easy to understand if a student would rather study for a test the next day as opposed to going to see some art. Through turning the day into a no homework, we can help encourage students to attend the event. 

Secondly, in order for Flint Hill to develop a rich art community, they have to show appreciation by holding the Graphic Arts show at a higher level.

Currently, artists like Sophomore Sam Song believe, “We want people to come see our art that we’ve been working on for the past couple [months]. It’s as if we did it all for nothing.” This sentiment is shared by much of the student body, yet is often just seen as a way to get out of homework. Despite this being true for many students, I believe if even a couple arts students feel as though their work should be seen, they are entitled to get that respect in the form of visitors. 

I will end this article by mentioning the fact that I am not an arts student, yet I try to go to every event that celebrates any form of the arts. As much as a football or basketball game, people who work hard in every facet of life deserve respect for whatever they do.