What I learned about senioritis – a junior’s perspective

By Sara Khan, Photo editor

Senior year is arguably the hardest year in high school. On top of challenging classes, seniors have time-consuming extracurriculars and college applications to worry about. Although every student in high school undergoes some form of adversity, I am most compelled by the daily life of a senior. To see for myself what senior year is really like, I asked several seniors in my classes what their opinion of the year is thus far to prepare me for the challenge ahead.

Although all seniors have the same goal in the end, I found that several have taken different paths that work for each of them.

I got my applications done before school started which helped me so much…I am managing my time well and am just trying to spend as much time with my friends as possible,” said senior Cami Lamont.

By completing her applications over the summer, Lamont has found time to enjoy her last year in high school, another important goal she has for this year.

“Everyone is going to end up somewhere. My advice [for all seniors] would be to stop worrying about one decision that you believe will make or break your future and go spend time with your friends…stop stressing out, it’s really not worth it,” said Lamont.

Others decided to save their applications for the school year.

“The hardest part [of senior year] thus far has been balancing all of my in and out of school commitments, as well as applying to college and keeping my grades up,” said senior Vale Tolpegin.

Senior Neha Sharma said that she tried to finish most of her applications over the summer; however, she still feels the pressure of senior year.

“I tried to get as many of my applications done before the school year actually started because so many of the seniors last year said that I should get as much done [before the year started] as possible. When people say you will have no time senior year, you will legitimately have no time senior year,” said Sharma.

When asked how senior year compares to junior year, both Tolpegin and Sharma agreed that the priorities are different this year.

“Last year, I was really worried about standardized testing…this year, the priority is [placed on] college applications”, said Tolpegin.

“Senior year is stressful in a completely different sense and to a much different degree, for me at least. Instead of just having to worry about doing well in classes and testing-like during junior year, senior year involves having to maintain your GPA, finish testing (if you haven’t finished from junior year), filling out the Common App as well as all your actual applications,” said Sharma.

Although the opinions of all the seniors I spoke to varied, I was able to gather a few pieces of information that would greatly help me and other juniors alike going into next year.

First and foremost, I think that a large portion of senioritis can be avoided by simply doing applications over the summer so only little adjustments are needed on each element coming into the school year.

Second, keeping a positive attitude and not letting the stress of the year take over me allows the maintenance of a strong work ethic leading into college. I find that lots of seniors, especially those I spoke to, were not succumbing to the pressure that Sharma initially mentioned. With many seniors in one of my classes last year, I saw a decrease in effort after first semester solely because college applications were all mostly turned in. I believe that this is not the right attitude to head to college with, as this laziness will translate to their attitudes in the future.

Although laziness is inevitable, through learning from seniors about their lifestyles this year, I can avoid the majority of stress that is so widely spoken about at school. Perhaps senior year isn’t as terrible as we make it out to be.