Bard Bus brings Hamlet to life

A+group+of+Flint+Hill+students+and+teachers+thoroughly+enjoyed+the+Shakespeare+Theater%27s+most+recent+adaptation+of+Shakespeare%27s+Hamlet.+
A group of Flint Hill students and teachers thoroughly enjoyed the Shakespeare Theater's most recent adaptation of Shakespeare's Hamlet.

Photo Credit: Tara Monjazeb

Photo Credit: Tara Monjazeb

By Leyla Ebrahimi, Co-Managing Editor

On January 25th, a group of Flint Hill students and faculty embarked on a journey to the Shakespeare Theatre in Washington D.C. to witness a production of Shakespeare’s Hamlet. As the group entered the theatre, they were greeted by volunteers who eagerly handed them programs and directed them to their seats. The lights dimmed as the audience waited for the actors to take the stage.

The Shakespeare Theatre staged a sensational production of “Hamlet,” in which the actors delivered their performances with conviction and eloquence.

“I thought the performance was well done, and I thought [the actor who portrayed] Hamlet did a really great job,” says senior Duncan Adams. “I especially loved the way the actors interacted with one another on stage; they embodied their characters very well.”

While the play consisted of Shakespeare’s original words, the stage was set with modern furniture and technology that enhanced the performance. The captivating blend between contemporary and bygone eras intensified the production, mesmerizing the audience and incorporating a unique contrast to the traditional play.

“I will say that the way that modernization was incorporated into the play caught me off guard. [I] could understand the plot of the story, but I personally would have enjoyed a more traditional version of the production. I felt that the advanced technology and setting tarnished Shakespeare’s original intentions, and did not make sense considering the plot of the play, it made it hard for audience members who were not familiar with Hamlet to fully comprehend and appreciate the production,” said Adams.

“I thought that the entire show was interesting because it puts a modern twist on traditional themes,” says senior Tara Monjazeb, “The issues that Hamlet brought up are still relevant today, and I thought that the director did a great job of portraying that.”