P.S. Positivity: On Adversity

Back to Article
Back to Article

P.S. Positivity: On Adversity

By Sara Khan, Co-Editor-in-Chief

According to keepinspiring.me, a website with daily quotes, there are six different distinct types of adversity: physical, mental, emotional, social, spiritual, and financial. Although not everyone may go through each form, high school is a stressful environment that makes it virtually inevitable to have everything in your life go exactly as planned. According to the National Institute of Health, one in five children ages thirteen to eighteen have, or will have, a severe mental illness; ten percent of youth have a behavior or conduct disorder, and 8% of youth have an anxiety disorder.

Personally, the beginning of senior year has not been easy on me. Just this past month alone, I have gotten an average of four and a half hours of sleep a night. Each night, I come home from practice, take off my bags, and immediately fall asleep. I don’t think that I can possibly work without sleeping for at least a few hours. By the time I wake up, it’s 8 pm, and I haven’t started any of my work. Fast forward to 2 am: I finally finished my work, and I don’t think I can possibly do it over again. And yet, I do.

Adversity is inevitable. Everybody faces adversity every day. Facing hardship teaches you how to be successful. Learning to overcome adversity is an important life skill that will ensure success in all platforms of life. Without this skill, every bump along the road will prevent you from reaching your end goal. With this skill, all obstacles seem conquerable, and success is no far-fetched idea.