Changes in Dress Code

Sophomore Alessandro Silva (left) and Senior Lily Kyser (right) wear newly approved hoodies

By Noah Ashenafi, Media Editor

The Flint Hill 2018-2019 school year saw significant changes in the dress code. Girls can now wear dresses that are short or long sleeve and appropriate in length and style. Boys are also allowed to wear their polo shirts untucked during the dress code cycle prior to Homecoming and after spring break.

Perhaps the most popular dress code change for both the boys and girls this year was the addition of Flint Hill hooded sweatshirts. Starting this year, students are allowed to wear their Husky sweatshirts as long as they don’t wear the hood during the school day.

The logic behind allowing hooded sweatshirts was that the clothing in many of the athletic spirit packs included sweatshirts. Before, students didn’t have the opportunity to wear their newly purchased apparel at Flint Hill. Some say the increase of school apparel worn at Flint Hill has increased school spirit.

Additionally, seniors are now permitted to wear college sweatshirts as a special privilege for their last year at Flint Hill. Senior Kathleen Boyce is in full support of this new addition to the dress code: “The college sweatshirts privilege is a great idea. Seniors are going through a stressful time right now, and a lot of people buy sweatshirts when they visit schools.”

A couple of weeks ago was Flint Hill’s spirit week, and it was filled with fun husky dress themes all throughout the week. On Tuesday, Kathleen approached Mr. Chang and asked if the students could wear athletic pants for the black/camo theme on Friday. She explained that it would be hard for the student body to look good if they had to wear Husky Dress bottoms with a black/camo color scheme. “[Mr. Chang] was open to listening to me because I approached him and respectfully made a suggestion instead of complaining or demanding,” said Boyce. After a short meeting with Mr. Reed, students were allowed to wear athletic pants that Thursday. Her proactive and respectful request was a success.

This is not the first time that the administration has made additions to the dress code. Two years ago, turtlenecks were introduced to add more variety to the daily clothing options. Members of the faculty even pushed for the addition of turtlenecks to the dress code. If the student body is cooperative and patient, the administration will try their best to make even more adjustments to the dress code in the future where they best see fit.