Lack of School Spirit

Students demonstrate school spirit in the gym

By Andrew Hamilton, Opinions Editor

At Flint Hill School, an issue is on the minds of the student body: school spirit. Now, what is school spirit? I was able to find a functional definition for school spirit in an article written by Karen Hollowell, in which Karen states that school spirit is defined as “the attitude students and teachers have about their school as well as their attitudes toward each other in and out of the classroom.”

Based on this definition, it is easy to see why having school spirit is important. Good school spirit supports camaraderie among the community and motivates students to try harder in their areas of interest.

I would say [school spirit] a big part of what Flint Hill is,” said senior Ethan Jones, a representative of Flint Hill’s Athletic Advisory Council, or AAC. “Having school spirit is important because it shows the fun and exciting culture at Flint Hill.

This leads back to the central question that many students are asking themselves and their classmates: Is there a problem with the school spirit at Flint Hill? While there is neither a resounding yes nor no answer from the student body, some students believe that Flint Hill School is currently lacking school spirit.

You may be wondering: why? Well, once again, the answer is complicated. Students cite multiple reasons for why school spirit is lacking: restrictions of expression in the dress code, lack of participation at school-wide events, general feelings of stress throughout the student body, and many more.

“I personally don’t really watch sporting events, but I remember the moments from when I went to big games like the basketball games vs Potomac and the energy in that room and the cheers we did really got me going,” said senior Sebastian Van Der Weide. “But I also remember going to field hockey games and being one of the only supporters there. I remember the constant mentions of the swim team meets which had even fewer fans. While I appreciate the stepping up of the AAC to raise awareness of the games, I don’t know how much more participation we have really received.”

So, what can be done to resolve this issue of school spirit? A shining example of how to improve school spirit can be seen in the AAC, who have been working hard ever since the start of the school year to increase the enthusiasm of the student body. They have been responsible for the creation of new school-wide cheers, the constant support of our teams, and the pep rallies.

“The pep rally in the gym was a great community event,” said freshman Miles Stewart. “[Overall], I think we are on the right track.”

While the AAC’s running of Spirit Week and the pep rally raised school spirit significantly, the students must take responsibility to carry on this enthusiasm. As members of the Flint Hill community, we cannot simply sit and wait for the school spirit to improve or rely solely on the AAC’s efforts. Instead, we must proactively try to improve school spirit by creating our own activities and events which the student body can enjoy freely.