P.S. Positivity: On The College Decision Wait

Photo Credit: Noah Ashenafi

Photo Credit: Noah Ashenafi

By Sara Khan, Co-Editor-In-Chief

At precisely 12:23 am this morning, I successfully submitted my first three college applications. The website prompted me with a response: “Congratulations on submitting your First Year Application!”

Looking on at the brightly lit screen before me with dark circles under my eyes, I prayed that the time that I spent working towards this moment would one day pay off. Initially, tension rushed out my body as I pressed the submit button on the Common App website; however, after realizing that 45 days from now, I will learn key information shaping my future, the tension quickly returned to my body. I could feel the walls of my bedroom pressing against my skin.

I am, admittedly, not the most positive person. Overthinking is both my passion and greatest talent. Therefore, waiting to hear back from colleges is inherently my worst enemy. So, in an attempt to overcome my negative ways, I have chosen to embark on a journey of positivity until the dreaded date of December 15th.

Embracing the unknown is the first step to achieve happiness. Whether it be the result of a test, the outcome of a tennis match, or the end of an essay, it is essential to let life take us wherever it chooses. The truth is we are never in control of the result of any situation. However, there is no need to fear. We can put forth our best effort to feel a sense of security and let whatever happens… happen. Although that may seem cliché, this realization is the key to achieving satisfaction during the waiting period of the college application.

Doing things I love is the second step to achieve happiness. This year, I vow to read books in my free time to take my mind off of my college application results.

According to a 2009 study by Sussex University, researchers showed that reading may reduce stress by as much as 68 percent.

In the time that I can spend worrying about something that lies in the hands of admissions officers, I can also read as many as two or three books. Reading not only allows me to stimulate my mind, but it also allows provides an escape route from the harsh realities of my own world. It provides me with the opportunity to immerse myself in the life of characters on other planets and different countries.

College applications will always be an anxiety-inducing process. Although I can’t rid myself of this inherent pressure, I can do my very best to occupate my mind doing things I love. After all, there are only a few months of school left before graduation! Why not take the time for self-improvement?