P.S. Positivity: On Second Semester

By Sara Khan, Co-Editor-in-Chief

January 18th, 2019 marked the end of my first semester of senior year and the beginning of my final semester of high school.

We’ve all heard of second semester senior year: a time in which students can enjoy themselves more freely because college applications are over. However, my experience with this phenomenon has been less-than-ideal. In the last two weeks of second semester, I have done more homework, taken more assessments, and struggled greatly to get more than five hours of sleep every night. Although my applications may be submitted, the possibility of being rescinded from colleges looms ahead, and my coursework certainly hasn’t gotten any easier. Regardless of what grade someone might be in, completing second semester is no easy task. However, there are a myriad of ways to control the urge to procrastinate and to finish this year on a high note.

Something that I have learned in my time in high school is that it is okay to take a well-deserved break. For example, when I occasionally stay up late to do an important assignment, I try my best to relax during a free period that day, during break, or before advisory. It is important to let your mind rest, otherwise this constant stress can manifest itself into a much more serious mental health issue in the future. If you don’t have the time to rest during the day, taking a nap, watching Netflix, or doing something you love before completing your homework is a great way to prevent fatigue. I personally try to spend an hour or so after I come home to eat and do something to take my mind off of the work that I have for that day.

Another strategy that I like to use is to allot certain portions of my schedule to different homework assignments ahead of time. I try to create a to-do list on Wunderlist (a free app) a week in advance, so that I can see how to plan my time accordingly. However, don’t take this schedule as a hard and fast rule. Unforeseen circumstances can change our schedules, and it is important to anticipate any last-minute changes. Although I love this system, I sometimes stare at my to-do list for over thirty minutes instead of studying just so I can complain about how much work I have. It is important to stay calm even when our workloads are overwhelming. If you ever feel the pressure of your assignments piling up, don’t be afraid to reach out to your teacher and ask for an extension. Although constantly asking for extensions on assignments is not ideal, there is no problem with taking some extra time to complete certain tasks if it means that you will sleep more and do a better job on the assignment if you have more time to complete it. A way to prevent asking for extension is to work ahead on certain assignments that you know will not take too much time. Not only will you complete more work on time, but this strategy will allow you to do more fun activities everyday instead of slaving away at your computer for hours on end.

Second semester is much more difficult than people make it out to be. However, there is no need to fear. With the right mentality, there is nothing that can stand in your way. The end of the year is very close, and, especially for us seniors, there are only three months or so left before Senior Week, so the hardest part of the school year is already over. Hopefully, armed with these tips, all of you can finish the year stronger than ever before.