Self-Love

Picture made by Joy Alemu

By Joy Alemu, Editor

Eleanor Roosevelt once said, “No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.”

According to Dr. Frederick Newman, low self-esteem, or a lack of self-love, is a thinking disorder in which an individual views him/herself as incompetent, inadequate, and/or unlovable. Ninety-five percent of teens have felt this sense of inferiority at some point in their lives because of reasons like appearance, intelligence, abilities, et cetera.

Due to the stress of school, sports, and academics, along with many outside factors, teens have been experiencing low self-esteem. People are hard on themselves because they want to excel in everything they do, at all times. But this notion brings about self-criticism. Therefore, it is important for the community to embrace self-love which is something everyone is entitled to.

When asked what she thinks self-love means, Ms. Fomengia, one of our school counselors, says, “I just think self-love means accepting everything about you, the good and bad, and most importantly just giving yourself grace. Knowing that there will be moments where you just don’t do your best, but at the end of the day you are perfectly imperfect.”

Self-love is when one loves every aspect of themselves, from their strengths to accepting their weaknesses and shortcomings. However, this is not in any way fueling an ego or coming from narcissism. Alternatively, it comes from a place of pure and unwavering love for yourself. Whether one looks at themselves in the mirror every morning and gives themselves a compliment or refrains from any negative thinking, these positive changes can and will improve their life.

Our school community has handled many controversial topics, and due to the recent climate, it is important for the student body as a whole to develop self-esteem and self-love. People will feel inadequate or less than because of how others make them feel.

When asked about recent events at the school, Ms. Fomengia states that “just with everything that has happened recently with all the good conversations, I think it’s empowering.” It is empowering and helping the community be the best people they can be because at the end of the day if you give yourself that permission to be who you are and treat yourself with respect, then that transfers to others.

Self-love is an inside job. It is the key to mental health and well-being, and to keep depression and anxiety at bay. Though this kind of mindset takes time, it will overall improve one’s life.