Varsity Softball sprints to an undefeated start to the season

Photo Credit: Chris Jones

Photo Credit: Chris Jones

By Sonia Schmidt, Copy Editor

For Flint Hill’s Varsity Softball team, the victory cheers have yet to end. Currently holding an 8-0 record, the team is 14 players strong and a powerhouse of talent. They compete in the ISL AA division, are ranked second in the state, and have most recently beaten Flint Hill’s rival Potomac 14-1.

The team is captained by three talented seniors: Ally Jones, Victoria Barbessi, and Carolyn Holran. These three, along with many of the other girls, agree that their win over Potomac was a very satisfying moment in the season thus far.

“We [the girls varsity softball team] just beat Potomac, so everyone was [and is] very excited about that, and I think we have a really good chance at winning the ISL for the second year in a row,” said senior Victoria Barbessi.

Other players often agreed that the Potomac win was a big one.

“My favorite moment was beating Potomac 14-1. Last year we needed a huge comeback in the last inning to beat them, and this year we dominated the game from the very beginning. This was a huge win for us because we are ahead of them in ISL and VISAA rankings now, and we beat our rival,” said sophomore Kathleen Boyce.

The season is going incredibly well, and the team is quite deservingly proud.

“The season has been going great, and we are undefeated going into our ninth game of the season, which is wonderful. I believe we are second in our state’s division right now as well, so the team is very happy with how everything is going,” said Barbessi.

The team has dominated every team they have encountered, and part of this undoubtedly has to do with the excellent energy and enthusiasm they all bring to the table. The girls enjoy the sport and each other’s company, which makes each win meaningful.

“This season has been really fun in general, especially because we have been doing so well. One of my favourite moments was definitely the catch that Ar’riyauna had during our Georgetown Visitation game because that catch basically won the game for us. Also, the time we spent at Disney over spring break, both on and off the field, was really fun and really helped the team bond,” said Barbessi.

The team recognizes that not all their games will be easily won. They have to keep up their strong work ethic if they want to continue on their current path of success.

“We have to keep working on coming out strong and maintaining our energy. Since we won the ISL last year, we are the team to beat, so we can’t take any team for granted. If we can dominate games the way we did against Potomac, we will be extremely successful,” said Boyce, ”Our biggest goal is to repeat the ISL regular season and tournament championship. In addition to that, we want to make it to the finals in the VISAA playoffs for a rematch against O’Connell, who knocked us out in the semifinals last year.

The team has a promising rest of the season ahead, and Barbessi, one of the team captains, agreed.

She said, “I think the team just needs to stay focused and play hard throughout the rest of the season. Our pitching has always been very strong and dependable, and our defense has always been able to back up our pitcher well. This year I think we are doing very well offensively, which can be seen through the fact that we have mercy-ruled many teams we have played. As long as we stay focused, I think the team is very solid.”