Varsity+Girls%27+Basketball+player+Madison+Jordan+goes+for+a+rebound+against+Westfield.+
Varsity Girls' Basketball player Madison Jordan goes for a rebound against Westfield.

Photo Credit: Sue Spencer

Photo Credit: Sue Spencer

By Shiv Lamba and Nadia Talaksi

The Winterfest basketball games always bring excitement to the Flint Hill community. Fans fill the stands and cheer for their team while the basketball players leave their hearts on the court in an effort to represent Flint Hill School well. The girls and boys varsity basketball teams did exactly that by adding a win to their record after the Winterfest games on January 20.

The boys varsity basketball team beat Potomac School at home, 62-58, in a “nail-biting game,” according to senior and small forward, Craig Hunt.

Small forward and senior Justin Taylor was confident about his team’s abilities prior to the game. “I knew we would win because we have a much deeper team, and we can get contributions from so many people,” he said.

Craig Hunt made clear that the stakes were high:

“This was a big game given [Flint Hill Varsity Basketball] was 0-3 in the MAC and desperately needed the win in order to compete for the MAC season champs” said Hunt.

He further explained, “If we lose to Potomac, we could at the most only be crowned MAC Co-Champions.”

Not only did defeating Potomac keep them in the running for the MAC Title, but it also was a huge jumpstart to the success the team has earned this season. Winning this game started an eleven game winning streak.

Still, the team has a lot more to prove. Taylor says the team needs to “continue to work together as a team, trust each other, and play hard for one another” if they want to be successful for the remainder of the season.

The Flint Hill girls varsity basketball team tipped off against Westfield. Junior point guard Whitney Wiley stated, “We were confident, but we didn’t expect to win by that much. We had a really strong game.”  

Thus far, the team is booming with high spirits. “Winning the [Winterfest] game sparked a six game winning streak”, according to Wiley. “It brought up our confidence and has greatly impacted our standings in the ISL.”  

The FHSGVB team is currently second in the ISL.

Even though the team is achieving great success, Wiley clarified that girls varsity basketball has a lot more to prove: “We play Stone Ridge and Sidwell for our last two ISL games which are very important. Then we have the ISL tournament which is huge. We finish our season with states which will be difficult but good competition”.  

The boys junior varsity basketball team has an overall record of 16-4 and a perfect league record of 12-0.

Prior to the Winterfest game, freshman shooting guard Grant Baker said, “I expected a win, their JV team is not that good.”

Just like Baker predicted, the JV boys basketball team pulled off a 55-45 victory. Though JV does not compete for a MAC or State Title, defeating Potomac is always a pleasure.

Center and junior Reid Johnson is confident the team can “finish out the season without losing.”

Flint Hill girls JV basketball played Westfield for their Winterfest game. Unfortunately, they lost 14-44. This may sound disappointing; however, freshman Gabby Nash says the team has “improved tremendously and has gotten super close against a few teams but has not gotten the result that [it] hoped for.”  

Nash said, “The team is focused on improvement rather than the stats.” This positive attitude against adversity demonstrates the team’s drive and Husky spirit.