Flint Hill Routs Collegiate in Championship Rematch

Back to Article
Back to Article

Photo Credit: Samantha Pell, The Washington Post, September 21, 2018

By Noah Ashenafi, Media Editor

Flint Hill football is a very well-known program for its thriving athletes, successful coaches, and most recently, its 2017 VISAA Division I State Championship. Last fall, top-seeded Flint Hill defeated the Collegiate School from Richmond 33-21 in the state championship game. This match was the start of a new rivalry between the two football programs.

On September 21, Flint Hill and Collegiate faced off again for the first time in almost 10 months. This game drew a massive amount of support from the Flint Hill community, as students, teachers, parents, and other fans gathered around the turf field to watch the state champion Huskies compete against the Cougars. This much-anticipated game resulted in the largest student body attendance of any athletic event so far in the school year. The atmosphere was lively and exciting!

Within a few minutes of kickoff, senior quarterback Miles Thompson hit junior receiver Justice Ellison for a 70-yard touchdown pass. The crowd roared, and this quick touchdown foreshadowed an exciting game for the Huskies. In the first half, Flint Hill scored six touchdowns, with two coming from senior running back Jordan Houston and another two from senior wide receiver Trey Rucker. At the end of the game, Flint Hill had blown out Collegiate by a score of 42-0.

Athletes on the Flint Hill team have committed to various schools with their football talent. Miles Thompson will be headed to the University of Pennsylvania next fall, and both Jordan Houston and Trey Rucker will be attending the University of Maryland in College Park. In addition to the impressive performances from these three seniors, their leadership helps Flint Hill be a winning team.

Senior defensive tackle Bonae Swain-Price attributes the team’s victories to their chemistry on and off the field. In particular, he said the key to their success was working together, and he credited the defense.  Swain-Price said, “[they were] playing tough and pulling it out.” When the defense plays well, it opens up the game for the offense, and makes it very hard for the opponent to cover all of our athletic players. Unfortunately, Swain-Price suffered a leg injury near the end of the game, but he continued to support his team on the sidelines until the final whistle.

This season, Flint Hill is undefeated with a 4-0 record after their most recent 34-13 victory against Trinity Episcopal High School. With a 14-game winning streak dating from last season, everyone is looking forward to seeing what the football team accomplishes this fall.