Mid-Season Report on Fall Sports

Back to Article
Back to Article

Mid-Season Report on Fall Sports

Volleyball Team (16-1)

Volleyball Team (16-1)

Volleyball Team (16-1)

Volleyball Team (16-1)

By Avi Lamba, Sports Editor

The fall sports teams are off to a great start this year. Team members are becoming more comfortable with each other and improving their performance every day. At the start of the season, we tend to assess our teams and form our expectations. All teams, from field hockey to football, are hoping to earn and maintain success by the end of the fall season.

Many of Flint Hill’s teams are thriving against their competition thus far. Like last year, the football team has started off their season undefeated with a 4-0 record. In a rematch of last year’s State Finals, Flint Hill had a game against Collegiate last week, and the Huskies put the game away early with a 42-0 lead after the first half. I asked junior Defensive Back Christian Murrell how he feels about the rest of the season, and Murrell said, “Undefeated… second year in a row.”

As the defending state champions, Flint Hill is a strong contender to win the MAC. The team is optimistic to win both the MAC and also to become back-to-back state champions. The football team will continue to work hard and focus in on their goals toward the end of the season.

Not only is the football team having another strong year, but the volleyball team is as well. The team recently won the Invitational Tournament hosted by Flint Hill, adding to their 16-1 record so far this season. Also, at the tournament, Coach Carrol DeNure accomplished a significant milestone, winning her 400th game. Senior Krissy O’Malley and juniors Denver Pugh and Sydney Reed were players from Flint Hill who made the All-Tournament team.

With an undefeated season and state championship last year, the volleyball team has high expectations for the rest of the year. With the talent to win another title, the players need to stay focused with many upcoming games.

Girls Varsity tennis is also doing well this season. With a 4-2 record, everyone on the team has had a lot of fun thus far. Sophomore Marisa Geib explains how much fun she has had with the team this year.  Geib said, “The tennis team is really enjoyable. The environment and the players are very supportive. Playing on the court and competing is a great way to release stress. Having teammates on your side is relaxing.”

The girls Varsity soccer team is off to an excellent start and is having a fantastic season. They have five wins and one loss on the season. The Huskies have had many close and competitive away games ending with good results. With a win at Georgetown Day by a score of 3-2 and another at Holton Arms of 2-0, the girls Varsity team has been put to the test. Players are working hard and aim to keep up the trend to make it their best season in a long time.

Flint Hill sports are off to a great start this season. Most importantly, the athletes are enjoying their time with their teammates while they compete and set records. Unanimously, they all vote for this time of the year to be their favorite!