Basketball Tip-Off

Back to Article
Back to Article

Basketball Tip-Off

By Avi Lamba, Co-Sports Editor

This basketball season began with the Flint Hill Tip-Off Tournament on November 30th. This tournament features both boys’ and girls’ teams from all around Northern Virginia. Fans packed the stands from afternoon to night on both Friday and Saturday. With great performances in this tournament, Flint Hill got off to a great start to the 2018-2019 basketball season.

Before the Tip-Off Tournament, Senior Olivia Rice spoke of her confidence in the team this tournament and moving forward.

“It’s a great group of girls this year. We have seven seniors, [and] they will be able to lead us the through the year. With many talented and dedicated players, we have a good chance to win [the championship].”

The tournament began at 6:30 p.m. at Flint Hill against the Highland School. The girls’ team set the tone for the rest of the evening with a commanding win, 68-52. Later, the boys’ team took on St. Anne’s-Belfield School at 8:15 p.m. The most fans in Flint Hill history were in attendance to this game. With more than enough support, the boys completely dominated this matchup with an 84-47 win on Friday night.

The next day, the girls’ team faced James Madison High School in the finals for the tournament at 4:30 p.m. This game did not turn out as hoped, as Flint Hill lost 42-56. However, even with this unfortunate result, they claimed the finalist trophy. Once again, with the boys’ game following the girls’, Flint Hill played against the Highland School at 6:15 p.m. Again with a significant amount of support, there was a lot of enthusiasm at this game. The Flint Hill boys’ team won the championship trophy to the Tip-Off Tournament with a win of 78-61.

While players were competing, fans were throwing. A tradition that has been held at Flint Hill for many years is the “Toilet Paper Throw”. When Flint Hill basketball teams score their first basket in the Tip-Off Tournament, all the fans through toilet paper onto the court. Out of celebration, the fans show their excitement and involvement in the game. This tradition was continued this year, and toilet paper covered the court after the first baskets.

Senior Ethan Jones talked about his experience at the Flint Hill Tip-Off Tournament this year. Being a varsity player since he was a freshman, EJ was very shocked with the support at these games.

“It was very energetic, and there was a lot of school spirit. This is definitely the most support we’ve gotten at this tournament. Our team needs to continue to focus throughout the season.”

The players were not the only ones who loved this energetic ambiance. Students at Flint Hill, such as Sophomore Garrison Holran, was happy to come out and support Flint Hill’s basketball teams.

“I came out to support the basketball teams for the first time, and it was one of my best experiences at Flint Hill. I hope this enthusiasm continues throughout the season, as I will be in attendance to many of these basketball games.”

Overall, this tournament was an excellent platform for fans to show their support and teams to come together. The boys’ and girls’ Varsity teams look to continue a great run later in the season.