Cross Country Runners Win Big at Oatlands Invitational

By Necati Unsal and Cooper Brown, Editor and Contributor

On September 14th, the Huskies joined 84 other schools in the Oatlands Invitational in Leesburg, Virginia. The race, a 5K (3.1 mile) course, ran on the grounds of Leesburg’s historic Oatlands Plantation. Mostly grass, the course is largely made up of rolling hills, creeks, and forests.

The Huskies “earned some hardware,” as Coach Robert Davis would say. Senior Calvin Lucido – no stranger to success, having received numerous accolades for running achievements in the past – secured an astonishing third place for the Huskies in the boys Varsity race. Other notable races include those run by Sophomore Quinn Griffith, who came in 7th place in the Varsity boys race, and Junior Kayla Moxley, who placed 9th in the Varsity girls race. When approached after the race, a veteran of the team, Sophomore Quinn Griffith, when reflecting on the race, and said “The hills were pure pain, but the feeling of sprinting across the finish line right in front of three other kids was worth it.” 

Sophomore Marc Sipher, a new runner this year, found the race to be quite the cathartic experience: “You know, I’ve been pretty stressed lately, but the exhilaration of race day really takes a load off. Pushing myself to the limit is a way to relieve pent up stress.” 

Sophomore Jack Bobby was sad that he couldn’t participate due to an unfortunate injury, and said “I hate to miss meets, but unfortunately couldn’t make it. Here’s hoping I make it next time.” Another sophomore, Isaac Grossman, said that, “despite the sickness that struck several members of the team, a lot of people still came out in support…I think this is something that separates cross country from other individual sports, the fact that we’re all still so close on and off of the field.”

With several personal best times achieved and medals won, the Oatlands Invitational was another great success for the Flint Hill Cross Country team. The team’s next home meet is on October 16th.