Varsity Volleyball Competes in the Garden State!

Back to Article
Back to Article

By Isobel Matsukas, Co-Editor in Chief

The Flint Hill Huskies ‘spike’ again but this time in New Jersey at the Garden State Challenge! The tournament was held on October 12th and 13th and our team traveled in style in a Charter Bus to The Garden State. Our Varsity Volleyball team raised their level of play to match and surpass the teams they played to get to the finals. 

The team has had good luck at the Garden State Challenge where they were champions two years ago by defeating Immaculate Heart Academy (IHA). This year, they won their pool play and got into the Gold Bracket as the number two seed. Unfortunately in the finals, Flint Hill lost to Immaculate Heart Academy with the score in set 1, 25-20 and set 2, 25-23 making IHA the second consecutive champions of the Garden State Tournament. Although, our Huskies definitely stood their ground, playing extremely well against some tough competition in New Jersey.

Head Coach Carrol DeNure says, “We played some tough competition against teams from Pennsylvania, New Jersey, and New York in the two day tournament. One of the reasons we traveled up to the tournament was to face good competition and help prepare us for the end of our season. Our goal is to always win the triple crown (conference, city championship and state championship). This tournament will definitely help us down the stretch of our season.”

Team members also commented along similar lines, sophomore, Jeanne Marie Greathouse said, “It [Immaculate Heart Academy] was a tough game and we fought hard. We were having an off day and could have played much better.”

Junior, Caroline Rich said, “Overall, we played really well at the tournament, especially against Bogota. The tournament was beneficial for us as a team because we got to play some really good competition.”

Follow our Flint Hill Varsity Volleyball team at their next home game on Tuesday, October 22 at 5:30 against Stone Ridge School of the Sacred Heart.