Huskies Undefeated in Homecoming Games

Credit: @flinthillathletics Instagram

Credit: @flinthillathletics Instagram

By Avi Lamba, Editor

Flint Hill had an amazing Homecoming, starting with Spirit Week from Monday through Friday. Depending on the day, students dressed up according to different themes, from aliens to athletes. The school community displayed their tremendous energy at the Pep Rally, in which students and faculty participated in fun activities, such as dodgeball. All members of the community took this energy to Homecoming Weekend, starting with the flag football game and following with the bonfire.

The Flag Football game was a lot of fun, not only for the junior and senior girls who played but also the coaches from the varsity football team and the fans. 

Both of these events had a high attendance rate and contributed to a great time before Homecoming Day. Homecoming Day finally came around, and it was filled with athletic activities.

Bright and early, at around 9:00 am, the boys varsity soccer team faced School Without Walls from Washington, D.C. Many, from freshman to seniors, had an opportunity to play in this game, as the Huskies took a commanding lead from the start of the game. The Huskies played exceptionally throughout the game and earned a 4-0 win against their competitor. After the win, junior forward Simon Bhatia said, “I am really proud of the team and how we have improved this year. Although last year was a challenging season, we have definitely turned it around this year. It showed in the Homecoming game; we played well as a team and as a result, we got a strong win.”

While the boys varsity soccer game was going on, varsity volleyball took on Oakton High School in the Upper School Gym at 10:00 am. The Huskies routed the Cougars in straight sets (3-0), and the game was over before the fans knew it. The team controlled the game from the beginning and put on a good show for all those that were in attendance. This was another game in the marvelous season that the volleyball team is having, with an updated record of 22 wins and one loss.

Girls varsity soccer was the second game on the turf at 11:00 am, also facing School Without Walls. The girls soccer team worked well together and was very effective. Senior forward Sophia Bishop really enjoyed the game, saying, “Our team really came together for the Homecoming game. We stayed focused and worked as a unit to break down the opposing team. The most important thing is that we had fun, especially with such a great crowd cheering us on. It was also the seniors’ last home game, and we couldn’t have asked for a better one.” Bishop scored one goal and assisted on two others, and the girls’ soccer team took a commanding 5-0 win.

Varsity field hockey followed the girls’ varsity soccer game, and the team dominated 7-0, also against School Without Walls. The athletes were extremely energetic during the warmups before the game, and they carried this energy onto the field with them. Junior defender Jessica Jarratt stated, “Our team had such a blast on Saturday. This 7-0 win is a great lead into our last [week of] regular-season games.” This game will give the field hockey team a great amount of momentum and confidence for the remainder of their season.

Varsity football wrapped up the sporting events on Homecoming Day with a 35-13 win over Maret School. Although the game was close at the beginning, the Huskies soon came together and played with more confidence towards halftime. Flint Hill took soon took over and seized a commanding lead for the remainder of the game. This crucial defeat against Maret was a great way to bounce back from their loss the previous week, and it would fuel them for the rest of their fall season.

The Huskies went undefeated throughout Homecoming Day, and the teams came together and played with confidence in every game. Hundreds of students were in attendance at these games decked out in Flint Hill gear. While the sports games on Homecoming showed how strong Flint Hill’s teams are, it also portrayed the togetherness and strength of the school’s community. It was a great day for all those involved, from fans to athletes. This led to a fun Homecoming Dance at night which concluded an amazing Homecoming Weekend!