Exam Stress

Back to Article
Back to Article

Exam Stress

Sophomore Avi Lamba holds his head as he stresses over exams

By Avi Lamba, Co-Sports Editor

Midterms are fast approaching and the stress that is added upon students can feel unbearable and also have physical effects. According to the website verywellmind, headaches and frequent colds are strong symptoms of stress.

Tension headaches are from stress, and they usually feel like a band wrapped around the forehead that is slowly tightening. WebMD says that frequent colds occur due to the stress that weakens the immune system. Trouble sleeping and difficulty thinking straight are also due stress because if someone is not getting enough sleep, they will have trouble processing certain thoughts. Stress can greatly affect someone’s mental health with issues such as anxiety and feeling overwhelmed, a sudden drop in self-esteem and energy, as well as being easily frustrated.

There are many causes of stress in teens including school, sports, and relationships. With midterm exams, there will be an added amount of stress on the students.

Exam week can be a very stressful time for students. There are many strategies you can use to deal with the stress you may face. It is important to be able to handle the nervous feelings you may have for optimal results on your tests and for your own well being. It is important to the take time for to relax and destress the week of exams.

The website Memory Improvement Tips reminds us that being in a calm, good mood can improve your visual memory, which will enable your studying to be more effective. Strategies to calm down while facing stress include deep breathing, visualizing something you love and speaking to yourself positively.

Another way to decrease stress is making an effort to get lots of sleep and take care of yourself.  To manage stress, the Huffington Post says, “You have to give your body the means to cope with stress, and that includes healthy food, non-harmful substances, sleep, downtime… Building into your day right-brain activity that lets you digest what you’ve been going through and process it.”

I spoke with an upper school counselor, Ms. Bowling, and she shared information with me about the mindfulness room. It is a calm, relaxing room you can access at any part of the day during exams. She recommends going to this room thirty to forty minutes before your test if you are feeling anxious.

To prevent stress, it is important to prepare and study well in advance of exams as well as trying to set high yet achievable goals for your results on the exam. Exam stress can feel overwhelming, but there are ways to manage it.