Road to Competition

By Divya Bhungalia, Section Editor

If you’re a competitive dancer, you know it’s competition season; the time when practice tends to feel longer and the sun is down before it’s time to go home. That’s the case for our very own Flint Hill Dance Team as well. Our team will be competing three times this school year: December 10, an upcoming competition on January 28, and the season closing on February 19. 

They worked extremely hard to get to the place where they were ready to compete. The team performed one piece in the past competition, and will be adding another for the next two. They learned a dance at the end of September and spent the last two months closing out the Fall season with football performances all while cleaning and tweaking the Pom routine. 

Our team is very proud of the work they put in to win first place in the division. If you were at the Tip-Off Pep Rally or the girl’s basketball game, you already got the opportunity to watch the dance! If you missed it by chance, make sure to come support your Flint Hill Dance Team at the next two competitions with the added Jazz piece as well!

Senior Manager Audrey Herrick shared, “I watched the team work so hard this year. After seeing the performance, their work truly paid off!” Herrick was a dancer on the team for both her freshman and sophomore years and understands the work needed to compete. 

For the week preceding competition, two of the teammates were very sick. Coach Landrum said, “After facing challenges during the week with multiple dancers out sick, I was very proud of the team for persevering and coming together to deliver a winning performance. They showed true teamwork under pressure and their hard work paid off. It was the boost we needed at the start of our competition season, and we’re looking forward to watching this team achieve new goals in 2023!”

Be sure to watch the Flint Hill Dance Team at upcoming basketball games and their next two competitions. Follow FHVarsityDance on Instagram to keep up with the performance schedule and team!