Studying Over Break

By Sabien Reck, Section Editor

The Flint Hill School community has started to adjust to the cold, winter weather, and it’s safe to say the majority of the student body has been counting down the days until Winter Break. Many huskies are embarking on journeys around the world for the holiday season, but it is critical that everything learned prior to break does not go down the drain because of these two weeks off.  So, what are some things you can do to have a restful break while still maximizing your retention of pre-break information? 

Studying might sound exhausting, time-consuming, and boring, yet, when done correctly, studying can become efficient and rewarding. Especially over break, studying becomes intrinsic so everything completed before the break isn’t forgotten or rusty. Dean of Students Howard Chang shared some of one of his favorite methods for study retention, saying “flashcards are very helpful when you go over them more than once. When I was studying for Latin conventions, I would create a pile of things I knew, and a pile of things I didn’t fully understand.” Mr. Chang’s simple study method is a straightforward, structured, way to ensure maximum understanding. Another benefit of this study method is the ease of the activity: it does not require a multitude of resources, nor does it require another person’s assistance while studying. 

Late in the very same interview, Mr. Chang recommended another way to stay motivated while both studying short and long-term. He stated, “Try to schedule your study habits. Use a calendar, time blocking, or whatever works for you personally. Also, make sure to make your time goals manageable, low-hanging, and accomplishable. Even if it’s not super intense, it’s great to just have your brain see the stuff again.” This second technique is helpful when trying to work studying into a busy schedule. Understandably, high schoolers have a lot on their plate: sports, extracurriculars, social life, and so on, but studying does not have to dominate one’s schedule if done correctly. 

Ultimately, although proper studying does require commitment, dedication, and awareness, with growth and practice, everyone can learn to develop stronger study strategies. Finding the right strategy for you is crucial in high school life. So, investing a bit of time into finding out ways to actively grow and retain knowledge will help you achieve your short-term goals, and long-term aspirations.