Breaking News
  • April 29US Fine Arts Awards Ceremony
  • May 3Senior Day
  • May 3Junior And Senior Flag Football Game

Interview with Josh Clarke
By Arti Marzban, Opinion Editor

Josh Clarke, senior, was disqualified from playing any further games in the MAC league shortly after entering his senior football season at Flint...

Introducing Galaxy Gala: The 2024 Prom Theme
By Nia Ashenafi, Editor in Chief

As spring slowly reveals itself, high school students nationwide prepare themselves for Prom season. This phenomenon does not exclude Flint Hill...

Hustling Water Huskies
Hustling Water Huskies
By Grace Semko, Managing Editor

It was the evening of January 26th, and our boys on the Varsity Swim Team were eager to fight for the MAC championship title. The hay was in...

Behind The Scenes of The Learning Center

The following is quoted from Flint Hill’s website on the Learning Center: “We recognize and celebrate that each student is unique and learns differently. With small classes and attention to every student, we are able to individualize learning and teach to each student’s strengths.”

Flint Hill is constantly working to better every student’s education. They strive to make their environment as comfortable as possible. With these goals in mind, Flint Hill offers the Learning Center as a place that helps students thrive and excel. It can specialize in specific subjects, but its primary goal is to create easily accessible learning support. 

The Learning Center is crucial to a student experience, but what makes it so helpful are those who are staffed and specialize in the Learning Center. These individuals create the in-person contact that genuinely helps the students thrive and excel. I had the opportunity to conduct an interview with one of these specialists, Upper School Learning Specialist Stephanie Batbouta, where she shared the importance of her job and what she feels those within and outside the Flint Hill community should know. 

When asked why this field is essential, Mrs. Batbouta shared many critical insights. She explained that in every environment, there will be obstacles. Understanding how the brain works is essential to helping students in addition to working to assist them with their goals, overcoming the obstacles that face them now, and preparing for the ones that will occur in the future. “Everybody has different skills in what they need to do to bolster their confidence. We want to recognize and celebrate that each student is unique and they learn differently”, said Batbouta. 

Having in-person contact and face-to-face experience really does influence a student. The learning center is constantly finding new ways to help students and learn more about today’s challenges inside and outside the classroom. Mrs. Batbouta highlighted that “We are constantly reflecting and researching to improve our craft to individualize the student’s needs so they can be successful in the classroom.” 

The Learning Center is very important to Flint Hill’s values. It demonstrates the importance of understanding students and creating an environment where they can thrive and feel accepted. These traits would never be possible without the Learning Center specialists who provide help and support and stay with these students throughout their high school careers. Stephanie Batbouta ended her interview with a heartwarming anecdote: “I always ask my seniors at the end of their high school career if they remember where they were as a freshman, and they always laugh in disbelief at how far they have come and developed, I love seeing their smile.”