Flint Hill Celebrates Virtual All-School Gathering

By Abi Baker, Section Editor

The annual Flint Hill All-School Gathering took place on September 30, and unlike previous years, it was a much smaller ceremony. To accommodate COVID-19 safety precautions, the event took place outdoors on the Upper School lawn with only the seniors and their families who have attended Flint Hill since Junior Kindergarten or Kindergarten, otherwise known as “lifers.”

Although the event could not occur with the full attendance of the entire school community this year, Headmaster John Thomas preserved some of the normalcy of events by creating a video that included faculty throughout the school. 

Senior and lifer Sofia Augenstein said “the event was an incredible experience, especially during these hard times. The lighting ceremony has been such a special tradition through my twelve years at Flint Hill, and it was truly amazing to light the lantern.” The lantern symbolizes the start of the year and it stays lit until the last senior graduates.  

For some, this event indicates a fresh start and for others it represents growth. The gathering gives new students the first glimpse into what it means to be a Husky. With all three divisions coming together in the past, this event has also been a chance to meet teachers and students. There is anticipation for returning Huskies to see past teachers, siblings, coaches, and other community members. This unique event is proof of what a tight-knit community Flint Hill is, and for the whole school, it is a chance to remember our Core Values and what it means to be a Flint Hill Husky.