Volunteering in the Den

By Ellie VanDuyne, Section Editor

With the switch to fall, students and parents alike have been gathering to watch athletic games and cheer on our athletes. A bonus this year is the reopening of the concessions stand, the Den. The Den is only in its second year of operation, as the grand opening took place last fall. Despite the Peterson Middle School opening for the 2020-21 school year, restrictions surrounding COVID-19 and large gatherings didn’t allow for it to open.

Along with its reopening this year comes a new volunteer opportunity for students. In the past, only parents were allowed to volunteer in the Igloo and the Den. While the same remains true for the Igloo, students can now volunteer in the Den and receive service hours. Students are also encouraged to sign-up with a friend.

Advancement Officer and Head Dance Team Coach, Olivia Landrum, currently runs both the Igloo and the Den. When asked why students volunteer at the Den, she replied that it “allows students to connect and contribute to our school community while supporting our athletic teams.” When volunteering, students partnered with parent volunteers to keep the concession lines moving during games by grabbing items for them and restocking supplies.

Flint Hill requires its Upper School students to complete a minimum of twelve service hours throughout each school year, as part of its graduation requirements. This comes after the requirement was lessened to nine hours for the 2021-22 school year because of the restrictions imposed by COVID-19. Participation at athletic games has greatly increased since, and the Den has become an excellent way to garner the service hours needed for students.

“It’s a fun opportunity,” Landrum adds. Students can “practice using customer service skills, and it’s an easy way to receive service hours.” 

Students can volunteer in the Den during the fall and spring athletic seasons. The link to sign-up can be found in the Morning Report as well as the newsletter. Make sure to check back for more opportunities to help the proud Husky community.