Course selections for the upcoming 2023 – 2024 school year

By Serene Zhu, Section Editor

As the third quarter of the school year comes to an end, Flint Hill encourages students to start thinking about their course selections for the following 2023 – 2024 school year.

Using the graduation requirements as a framework, students can choose the electives they are passionate about (rising seniors prioritized).

Graduation (minimum) requirements:

• Total: 20 credits
  • English: 4 credits
  • History: 3 credits
  • Mathematics: 3 credits
  • Science: 3 credits
  • Languages: level 3 in one or level 2 in 2 languages
  • Fine arts: 1 credit
  • Athletics: 4 credits

On Thursday, March 2nd, a presentation on course selections took place. Flint Hill recommends that students carefully consider their overall course load, the total number of AP/honors courses, extracurricular obligations, attention to health/well-being, and goals before choosing classes. “I feel like it’s really easy to become hyper-focused on grades and taking all honors courses, but you have to remember that extracurriculars are just as important. Especially for some college applications,” says Freshman Divya Kudva. There are a total of seven class periods, and students are recommended to take five to six courses in order to leave a free period (although taking seven courses is possible with approval from the Academic Dean, Mrs. Ayers).

Course recommendations from teachers will begin on March 8th. Recommendations can be for the regular, honors, or even AP-level of classes. During this time period, students are also welcome to seek advice from advisors, teachers, etc. From March 27th – March 31st, students will be able to see their recommended courses and request courses in Husky Hub.

In addition to this, Flint Hill also offers probationary enrollment (one per student) for rising freshmen, sophomores, and juniors. The request form for probationary enrollment must be completed between May 16 – June 16, and the student must also discuss with the Academic Dean, Mrs. Ayers. Probationary enrollment periods go up to nine weeks, and at the end of the session, the student may decide whether they want to stay or return to the class originally recommended to them.

For more information on course selections, the following resources are available:

• Advisors
  • Teachers
  • Department Chairs
  • Grade Level Dean
  • Academic Dean – Debbie Ayers
  • Registrar – Maha Morse
  • Director of the Upper School – Don Paige
  • Upper School Program Guide