Huskies Finish their Spring Seasons Strong

By Necati Unsal, Deputy Editor

Unlike the other sports this year, spring sports at Flint Hill more or less had a regular season.  All sports, including baseball, girls lacrosse, boys lacrosse, boys tennis, track and field, and softball, enjoyed successful seasons with competition, a welcome change for athletes who had to miss out on competing during early quarantine last year. Mainly, Seniors had a chance to finish their high school sports careers strong with several standout performances. 

The girl’s lacrosse team had a great season, winning an astonishing nine games and making it to the playoffs.  The team’s success was due in no small part to Seniors Mackenzie Fitzgerald, Reagan Pomeroy, and Kinsley Helmer. Like the other seniors, they had indispensable roles on the team. 

The baseball team had several notable performances this season, with an impressive record of 8-3.  Again, the team’s seniors, Eli Rafalovich, Gaarison Holran, Andrew Macholtz, and Trevor Barbessi, had a lot to do with the team’s success this year. Luckily, the Class of 2022 also had significant contributions to the baseball team and is looking forward to returning next year. 

Boys and Girls Outdoor Track finished their season strong with outstanding performances at the VISAA State Meet.  Freshman Clara Stevens and senior Bela Aguilar placed 5th and 3rd in  discus. Seniors Kayla Moxley and Holly Fan also had excellent performances, with Moxley getting 7th in the 3200-meter run and Fan with 5th triple jump and 7th in the long jump.  Lastly, freshman Anwen Reed had an excellent 200-meter race, coming in 7th.  

Softball had some big wins and made it to the state semi-finals. Some great performances came from the Junior class, with Grace Hausamann receiving 1st team all-state and Alexis Chickillo making it to second-team all-state, and having a no-hitter later in the season.  Lastly, Senior Sarah McCue did well, also making it to second-team all-state. 

As for Boys’ tennis, they finished the season strong with a record of 2-4, with seniors Kyle Frank and Alessandro Silvia both finishing up their time with the team, having a great final season.  

Finally, boys lacrosse ended their seasons with a 2-4 record.  After not having a season last year, seniors David Allen, Bennett Chess, Bryce Crandall, Darius Keck, Conrad Luttschwager, Conrad Nakamura, Dusty Raymond, Will Rupli, and Cooper Seegers were eager to make up for the lost time. Luckily for them, they all had great performances and could end their senior years with a bang. 

As can be seen with some great performances from all Flint Hill Spring Sports, athletes, especially among the seniors, were ready to return to their respective teams and compensate for the season they missed out on last year.