Tennis Team’s Success!

By Miles Stewart, Section Editor

Game, set, match! The Varsity Girls’ Tennis Team — led by superstar seniors Nicole Kladakis and Shelby Berger — has dominated the season so far!

Last year, during the pandemic, sports did not start until the winter in order to ensure that the faculty had time to get vaccinated and students were properly socially distanced. Due to this, many fall sports, such as tennis, football, field hockey, golf, and cross country, either had an abbreviated season or none at all. 

Despite a two year break between seasons for varsity tennis, the team did not miss a beat. The girls started off strong, defeating Madeira 5-2. The team has also won against several other strong private schools, including Stone Ridge, Paul the Sixth, St. Stephen’s-St. Agnes, St. Andrew’s, Seton High School, and Georgetown Day School. Additionally, within their conference — the Independent School League — the Huskies are undefeated, with a record of 5-0. 

The key to success for the Huskies has been their preparation. While most teams at Flint Hill compete once a week or every other week, the tennis team often plays two or even three matches in one week. Moreover, the Huskies will have had plenty of experience by the time conference tournaments and the state championships roll around. 

This week, the Huskies face off against Episcopal High School on the 12th. On the 14th, the team will compete against Maret for their senior night. 

Make sure to come out and support the team! Even if you can’t make senior night, given their packed schedule, there will be many more opportunities to watch them play. For instance, next week, Flint Hill will have two home games on the 21st and 22nd against Holton-Arms and Georgetown Prep. 

In a few weeks after that, the team begins their conference tournament in the ISL, having their first few matches on the 25th and 26th. Then, the Huskies have a chance to compete in the VISAA State Championships. Given their perfect conference record and their thorough preparation, I’m sure that the Huskies can continue their momentum throughout the rest of the season. Hopefully the team can bring home a banner this year at the state championship!