Flint Hill’s Spring Signing Day

By Caryn Gardner, Deputy Editor

On April 13, 2022, our Husky athletes commemorated signing day.  Five athletes, participating in basketball, lacrosse, and football, signed the formal document confirming their intent to play their respective sports at the collegiate level. The ceremony began with the Upper School Athletic Director, Dewayne Robinson, giving a few remarks about the athletic program and the success that the athletes have collectively brought to it.

Kelli Guiliani is a four-year varsity player for soccer, lacrosse, and basketball. She is also known for her vibrant energy and spirited personality in the classroom and in the stands. Many can say that Kelli is responsible for the immense school spirit that drives the campus during sports games, pep rallies, and other various school events. In the fall, Kelli will continue her academic and athletic career at the United States Naval Academy where she will continue her basketball journey and continue to display her fiery energy. In her final remarks, she discussed her gratitude for the Flint Hill community and her support system at home.

Saxby Sunderland, another four-year varsity student-athlete, celebrated the conclusion of his time here at Flint Hill and the continuation of his academic and athletic career at East Carolina University. Saxby has been a crucial part of the many successes of the basketball program. He has received several accolades for his achievements and they are well deserved. Coach Reed remarked on how Saxby has persevered throughout his time here as a student and how his dedication helped him to overcome it. Reed mentioned that “he is usually found at school before any other student working and perfecting his craft.” 

Jack O’Grady, a varsity basketball player, formally committed to Elmira College. During basketball games, he is given an abundance of support and cheers, and it is a reflection of his dedication to the team and the many relationships he’s made throughout his time at Flint Hill. It is no surprise that Jack received immense support from his family, peers, and the Flint Hill community. He is known to give advice to Coach Reed during games and he always supports his teammates proudly. When giving thanks to his support systems at home and at school, he mentioned that although “[he] may not be the best athlete on the court, [he] is ecstatic to do what he loves and that is to play basketball”. 

Reis Jones has only been a part of the Flint Hill community for two years now, but the impact he has left on the students, the basketball program, and the overall Flint Hill community was immense. Coach Reed mentioned how Reis is always available to help his teammates whenever he can, whether that’s through staying after practice with his teammates to help them to improve their technique or just offering his support whenever it’s needed. Morehead State University is extremely fortunate to receive an incredible athlete as well as an incredible person. 

MarQuis Roberts has been an essential player in the football program for many years. During Signing Day, he signed his papers of intent to Campbell University. Roberts is the epitome of a hard worker and a dedicated student, according to Varsity Head Coach Kirk Peterson. He explained how MarQuis’ technique to being the best athlete he can be will be a great help to him as he continues to play football in the future. When asked to make remarks on behalf of his time at Flint Hill, he stated how “thankful [he] is for [his] family” and everyone who helped him to get where he is today.  

The event was followed by a series of photo opportunities for parents to take pictures with their students as well as surround them with love as they celebrate the embarkment of a new journey. The Flint Hill community congratulates all of the students on their future endeavors and hopes for the greatest success to come.