Our school spirit can’t be deterred!

By Caryn Gardner, Section Editor

On Monday, the 18th of October commenced the beginning of a fun-filled week of Homecoming spirit at Flint Hill. The Student Council posted the themes for the week and students bustled with excitement to show their spirit. The final themes were: Safari/Camo Day on Monday, Country Western on Tuesday, a pink theme on Wednesday, Character/Twin day on Thursday, and Holidays on Friday. 

At the start of the week, students dusted off their safari hats and giraffe onesies to walk the halls of the school. Additionally, many students could be found wearing decorative and elaborate letters posted on their chests. Alongside safari, the day was Scarlett Letter Day. Students in AP Language and Composition imitated a common Puritan punishment practice for the day in order to empathize with the characters of the book. The school spirit was high and a vast majority of the students were eager to participate. After a year absent of normal school festivities, no one let covid steal all the fun that surrounds homecoming week. Cowboy boots, flannel, and bandanas: a common outfit on country/western day during spirit week. On Wednesday, the campus filled to the brim with pink. In observance of breast cancer awareness month, the SCA dedicated Wednesday to show their support for the cause. As the week almost came to a close, Thursday brought character, twin day. Most students dressed as characters while some found a partner and dressed identically to each other. The building was filled with superheroes, 90’s rappers, cartoon characters, Netflix characters, and even some not-so identical twins. On Friday each grade was tasked to dress-up in the spirit of a different holiday. The freshmen wore winter holiday clothing, the sophomores wore Valentine’s day clothing, the juniors wore St. Patrick’s Day clothing, and the seniors wore 4th of July gear. 

At the end of the school day, it was time for the pep rally! The seventh and eighth graders joined the upper schoolers on the turf field behind the Peterson Middle School. The rally began with several games like a pie-eating contest and musical chairs with our spirit enthusiast, Kelli Guiliani, who is an expert at getting the crowd hyped up. The crowd surged with energy and the students attacked the field for musical chairs. Renee Jones (‘24) and Hudson Eaton (‘24) persevered until the final round. Hudson, the crowd favorite, won this game last year.  The two students battled fiercely. But in the end, Renee Jones took the win! The students rushed to the field to congratulate her. You could feel the excitement and joy exuding from the crowd of students. 

Friday concluded with an intense soccer game with the varsity boys team which resulted in an unfortunate loss. Shortly after, Flint Hill students, parents, alumni, and prospective Flint Hill members convened for the annual lighting of the bonfire. This Spirit Week illustrated the depth of the Flint Hill school spirit. It will be hard to exceed this level of school spirit next year!